• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 05:16:20 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Fermentation vessels

Started by loftybush, June 04, 2013, 11:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

Quote from: Il Tubo on June 05, 2013, 10:51:18 PM
Quote from: deadman1972 on June 04, 2013, 02:17:50 PM
Whats the story with Alpack Tube ?
Retailer of packaging in Sandyford. Very keenly priced.

Box of 25 x 750ml swing tops, brown, is only €41. That's €1.65 a bottle.

Might be a option for the barrel projects...

Greg2013

I take your point Tube but if an average fv is 15 euro and we get 5% discount thats only 75 cents. The same size bucket in food grade, though without markings is 7.50 euro cheaper from allpack. Brenmurph that's great idea, weighing them i reckon is most accurate option and then marking, takes account of shaky hand syndrome that way ;)

That being said i am in South East so for me the trip to Dublin is a factor, if i got them posted down is a factor. For those near the pale i would suggest giving allpack serious consideration. There4 is a new HB store after opening up in Wexford somewhere though not on internet yet ;)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Damien M

I got 10 33l buckets delivered from/by Allpack for around a tenner. 10 buckets for the price of 11 ish delivered ..... a Bargain!!

There's a Group buy in there somewhere. swing tops included!!   

brenmurph

Quote from: DaMun on June 11, 2013, 09:45:50 AM
I got 10 33l buckets delivered from/by Allpack for around a tenner. 10 buckets for the price of 11 ish delivered ..... a Bargain!!

There's a Group buy in there somewhere. swing tops included!!

u plannin a lot of brewing ;D?

Damien M

I'm a beekeeper taboot! Complimentary industries anall ananyway!

JimmyM

One thing ill say against using the Alpack buckets as fermenters is whatever way the plastic is moulded, you can see little raggedy plastic tags around the nipple in the middle of the bucket (and lid IIRC).

Not sure whether its a huge issue but it maybe potentially become a place for bugs to live after a few uses - but that's what i was thinking when i was looking at them. Not sure whether the HB FVs have same issue, I dont think they do.
Formerly JamesM.

Damien M

The Alpacks are made of a harder plastic (leave to others to explain the science) which makes them rigider ( tech term :P) so lids are not as flexable and need to be cajoled off, the whole way around, although they do have a tamper eveident tab to get you started and be careful  getting the lit off as I have cracked one lid early on trying to get it off.

I have never used one as a boiler, it does look like it would heat harden and become brittle, as stated previously.