• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 11, 2024, 10:28:57 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sub-forum to be decommissioned shortly due to inactivity. - No longer happening.

Started by Eoin, April 25, 2014, 11:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

There is not a lot of activity in this forum, despite some recent postings, in the interests of cleaning up the forum it will be archived shortly, unless it justifies it's existence which it is not doing at present.

Lugh

Don't you think that any members/users in the South-East are entitled to a forum even if they choose not to make use of it much? Also I am pretty sure that people check in even if they don't post, so new users/potential members in SE should have a place to post to make contact.
We are a small group and not all tech savvy so we use more direct lines of communication.

This is my personal opinion and I in no way purport to represent the views of any other brewer/s

Eoin

Quote from: Lugh on May 05, 2014, 08:18:51 AM
We are a small group and not all tech savvy so we use more direct lines of communication.

So you don't use the forum then?

Ciderhead

Missed op this came up last year  also for chaps in SE,
The forum is there to serve the members.
By deleting groups for non use of their section of the forum you are basically saying you don't want them in the NHC, not very inclusive that :(

Eoin

Not at all, but forums grow and need to be backed up and maintained. If people locally are using other methods of communication then what use is a sub-forum that is getting no use? At the end of the day it's also an invitation to use or lose the sub-forum, that part is clear right?

Rossa

Where would new members from that neck of the woods go if we got rid of it? Is it better to have it in the hope it might be used or are we alienating them by deleting it?

Just some thoughts.

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on May 05, 2014, 10:10:31 AM
By deleting groups for non use of their section of the forum you are basically saying you don't want them in the NHC, not very inclusive that :(

I have to say i agree with CH on this one, it could  give that impression and to be honest it does a little to me. Use it or lose it attitude does not take into account the size or lack thereof of the SE "club" and the spread or ability to interact of the individual members. And keeping it tidy does not really jive either as if the SE "club" is inactive it can't be generating extra work for the admins so where is the tidying necessary ?  ???

Where do other potential new SE members go now to interact on the site ?  :(

If you wanted more activity on the SE "club" section then someone on the committee should have chased it up instead of leaving it flounder IMHO, i couldn't because i had no way of getting to and fro anyway, and not being omnipotent i could not be all places at once, so where were the others chasing this up ? I did post but yes i did stop because i was getting no replies. Guys if it isn't active why not just leave it be ?  :(

I don't know guys it just seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater IMHO and does not feel very welcoming IMHO.  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Shane Phelan

While I'm generally pretty militant about keeping things clean and limiting the number of forums, the fact that its a sub form doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of screen real estate by removing it.

Also would it serve as a landing page for new members from that area that might like access to the direct line of communications that those members currently use?
Brew Log

Greg2013

Quote from: shiny on May 05, 2014, 11:43:04 AM
While I'm generally pretty militant about keeping things clean and limiting the number of forums, the fact that its a sub form doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of screen real estate by removing it.

Also would it serve as a landing page for new members from that area that might like access to the direct line of communications that those members currently use?

+1  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Will_D

We discussed something similar yesterday in the AGM about how many active forum users we have.

Counting their posts is NOT the way to do it.

Have a look at the viewing stats for members and in this case the local club fora!

A lot of newbies read posts for about 6 months before posting!

We get posts from them saying "Hi, have been reading the posts for ages and not its time to introduce myself and ask questions and become more acrive!

Please leave the sub forums alone.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

johnrm

I had suggested a cull on inactive users and raised this at the AGM.
On reflection, I believe it is unnecessary
That said, when counting the number of 'Active' users, I believe a user who has not logged in for x months should be regarded as inactive for statistical purposes, but no action taken.
Edited to remove ambiguity

LordEoin

what benefit would culling either inactive groups or users provide?

johnrm

LordEoin

What benefit would culling inactive groups or users provide?
Also. What is being considered inactive? This section was last posted in 5 days ago.

Tucan

Hi all
I would like to know what Eoin would consider as "justification" and how he came up with it ?