• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 16, 2024, 01:35:12 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Competition Planning

Started by Will_D, August 05, 2014, 11:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

Isn't there already a calendar (sticky) in this forum that  shows what's coming up?

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6411.0.html

Why not use this?

I disagree with no competitions before the nationals. The more competitions the better!

I think that if there is a homebrew conference in April that it would be good to have a theme and a competition along that theme? (But that's for another thread!)

I agree with Lord Eoin's point that the competition naming was a bit confusing, but it is clear in the calendar linked to above what the competitions are about.

Partridge9

I dont think there is much of a problem here, Im sure the registrations will pick up over the next couple of weeks.

Calling the competition after the club is grand,

GCB having a 'red ale' competition  and NCB having a 'cant believe its not lager' competiton

Is that really that confusing ?

Dont get it.

pob

Quote from: LordEoin on August 05, 2014, 12:37:06 PM
Personally, I kept away from the GCB and NCB competitions because the names confused the shite out of me and no matter how many times i looked at the threads i could never remember which was which, So i just avoided both. And drank my Red Ale.
i probably would have entered one or both of them if the names were clearer.

What posts were you reading & getting confused over. The first post for both competition states what the category was, the description was in the 2nd sentence of both posts. There were both posted in the Competition section.

GCB Irish Red
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5865.0.html

NCB "I can't believe it's not lager"
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6599.0.html

Follow up reminders were also posted in the relevant clubs section. These first posts both had links to the competition details.

If you were confused, couldn't you have PM'ed or posted requesting further clarification on what the competitions were about or even suggested renaming the thread title to improve understanding for anyone like yourself who may have got confused.

delzep

I'm guessing that people simply get gcb and ncb  mixed up

baphomite51

I think it's a good idea it gives you the opportunity to pick wat competitions you want to enter and then focus on brewing and dialling in the beers before the competition instead of rushing out an untried/tested beer, it also gives clubs a chance to gauge interest in a competition if people register for it at the beginning of the year.

Partridge9

The more competitions the better in my book.
So what if some of them only get 10 or 15 entries. 
Thats still 10-15 people brewing - isnt that what we are about ?

I remember the dark time when there wasn't any competitions - I'd wouldn't be in a rush back there - let me tell ya !

brenmurph

+1 partrige. It helps judges and brewers improve, creates another few days out for members.  Im hoping to have a lager comp with two sections e.g. 1 for those that medaled in comps (or received a prize) before  and 2 for those that havnt and equal prizes for both. So a type of handicap for the likes of me, dodge, rossa and others. This i hope will motivate more to giv comps a go

Rossa

Quote from: Tube on August 06, 2014, 07:33:50 PM
I would agree you don't gauge success on numbers. It's mainly about including everyone in the fun.

Just as brewers need feedback from judges, judges need feedback too. Have seen some erratic scores over the last while, e.g. one beer scoring 45 in one comp and scoring 23 in the next.

Something like that could just be a bottle infection I suppose (and hope) but my Liffey winner did pants at the nationals and I think it was judged by the same person!

brenmurph

We need to stay scientific here. We need to have good judges and judges need training and ongoing training to stay on top.  Ive heard numerous times tha  beer x scored 40 then 20. I had a stout score 13 in lucan. I dont enter undrinkable beers and i bottled that on the mornin of the comp. So clearly there may b signif judging problems. One idea is to blind test judges at comps. Giv dem 2 entries of the same entry bottled from the keg on the day and compare how dey judge dem. Are they taking a lazy approach or are they unskilled or fatigued from the previous 10 beers they judged?  Clearly there are lack of concentration issues or carelessness as i had a beer judged having lost 3 points in overall impression quoting beer needs more body having just judged it as medium under mouthfeel.. The beer was a bjcp med body beer.   All above shows problems with judgi g so as i stated before we shud look at the issue as raised at agm.  I dont expect anything other than a fair assessment of my beers by a judge who may not be skilled or qualified but if my beer is brown and supposed to be brown i dont want a judge docking points saying its golden.
Maybe a beer judge committee would help organise some interventions. One area id like to see is seperate tables for the two judges judging the same beer. It wil ensure there is no leading by stronger personalities and also ensure each judge is accountable if scores are wide, in this case a third judge should assess perhaps

Rossa

Quote from: brenmurph on August 06, 2014, 08:56:47 PM
in this case a third judge should assess perhaps

That is generally what happens.

brenmurph

Were home brewers tube we arnt bjcp prisoners...so i agree with ya...