• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:06:50 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Started by Gerryjo, September 02, 2016, 02:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerryjo

Hi folks from the city myself and have just got back to brewing in the last month.I've been looking through the forum's and nice to see some folks close at hand do I just thought I would say Cheers.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

irish_goat

Welcome Gerry. We've a small but growing group in Derry now. Next meetup will probably be in a fortnight or so.  :)

What sort of setup have you?

Gerryjo

Hi irish_goat,its bare bones with a 27 litre fermenting bin and a range of as pots from 15 to 5 litre.Left all my gear behind years ago but through time shall get it backup.

Gerryjo

September 02, 2016, 03:35:47 PM #3 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:08:48 AM by Gerryjo
Are you all using grain,partial or extract.Im asking this as I bought a bag of Minch pale malt when I was up in Mount melkick and I have started experimenting with it.Trying SMaSH and maybe with herbs and spices without the hops.

Cheers Gerry.

brendy_éire

Mostly all grain.

What herbs and spices are you going for?

Gerryjo

At the moment I have a test batch using Rowan berry without hop additions to see how the tartness attributes to the ale.Toying a the moment to get the feel of things and I know Rowan is a fruit but has been used before.Quite like the idea of something different.

irish_goat

Sounds interesting, don't think I've ever tasted rowan berry anyway.

Gerryjo

No neither have I.Test batch with 1kg Minch malt and another 500g which I roasted although the grains had been crushed.200g Rowan berry soaked for an hour in 1.5 litres of boiling water adding the juice to the wort then adding the berries at 60,30 and 15 with 10 grams of bubblewrack seaweed.

Gerryjo

Out of curiosity is there anyone using carrageenan for clearing in your wort?

irish_goat

I always use half a tablet of Whirlfloc, which is a mix of Irish moss and carrageenan.

Gerryjo

I've added the seaweed as above which is also an edible seaweed with the same characteristics as carrageenan.Bottled on Saturday morning cleat on Tuesday.Can be picked from the beach,cleaned,sundried,put through the blender or finely chopped and added to last 10 mins of boil.

Gerryjo

Gerryjo

Bladderwrack sorry not bubblewrack lol

johnrm

Are the bladders filled with liquid?
Burst then dry?

Leann ull

Bladderwrack contains air in those bubbles, did you never pop them in Lahinch as a kid, goes rock hard dry
Have to do a big myrtle carrageenan brew one day