• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 03:41:05 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Started by Gerryjo, September 02, 2016, 02:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerryjo

Hi johnm you're right only air in the bladders.
Bottled Saturday morning.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Shanna

Quote from: CH on September 14, 2016, 11:30:03 PM
Bladderwrack contains air in those bubbles, did you never pop them in Lahinch as a kid, goes rock hard dry
That's what help the plant rise and fall with the tide. Fucus vesiculosus beloved of 6th year biology students everywhere (including this one back in time). Can have high levels of iodine & potassium in it so I would use it sparingly from a taste point of view. It can also pickup marine pollution especially sewage so I would be judicious in where you get it.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Gerryjo

Funny found that out while researching seaweeds on our shores as does carrageenan and picked at Buncrana.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Fatcontro11er

I like the sound of that( myrtle) I got some from a big in Roscommon years ago but never seen it locally!?!?

brendy_éire

Quote from: Fatcontro11er on September 18, 2016, 12:29:04 PM
I like the sound of that( myrtle) I got some from a big in Roscommon years ago but never seen it locally!?!?

Would be interested to try bog myrtle myself, but not sure how to go about getting it.  Can anyone just dander into a bog and starting lifting the plants there?
It's for sale online from this crowd in Scotland (http://www.bogmyrtle.com/), but you're taking €300 a kilo, some price!

irish_goat

Map of where bog myrtle has been spotted here. None logged in Derry but there's some outside Buncrana. http://bsbi.org/maps?taxonid=2cd4p9h.5eb

Fatcontro11er

Would be interested to try bog myrtle myself, but not sure how to go about getting it.  Can anyone just dander into a bog and starting lifting the plants there?
It's for sale online from this crowd in Scotland (http://www.bogmyrtle.com/), but

Aye you can just pick it one things for sure you'll know when you are next to near it, the smell is very menthol!? You won't confuse it with anything else!

Gerryjo

Looking for any opinions on using a second yeast.Put a brew together and used S33 yeast and had messed up as there was a leak in my fv.Looking to transfer to a second fv and use Gervin English Ale Yeast.Has anyone tried this before.

Sent from my ALE-L21

irish_goat

Quote from: Gerryjo on September 20, 2016, 11:02:42 PM
Looking for any opinions on using a second yeast.Put a brew together and used S33 yeast and had messed up as there was a leak in my fv.Looking to transfer to a second fv and use Gervin English Ale Yeast.Has anyone tried this before.

Sent from my ALE-L21

What's wrong with the S33? If you transferred to a second fv there will still be plenty of yeast in there to ferment it.

Gerryjo

Lifted the lid for a look and seems inactive although there is a ring of krauzen but maybe that's just me.Never seen a bubble in airlock on both occasions using this yeast.

Sent from my ALE-L21

irish_goat

How long has it been on?

Gerryjo

Yeast was pitched on Saturday morning.

Sent from my ALE-L21

irish_goat

I'd be inclined to leave it and see how it gets on. Pitching the 2nd yeast would be fine as well though, shouldn't cause any major issues.

The airlock might not bubble if the lid isn't securely closed either and CO2 is escaping that way.

brendy_éire

Quote from: irish_goat on September 20, 2016, 01:53:37 PM
Map of where bog myrtle has been spotted here. None logged in Derry but there's some outside Buncrana. http://bsbi.org/maps?taxonid=2cd4p9h.5eb

It's not a very detailed map, but it's a start, I suppose.  Could take a run down next week maybe.

irish_goat

I'll ask in work actually, might be a few parks with some of it.