• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 07:44:22 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sparkleoid

Started by Oh Crap, July 09, 2015, 10:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh Crap

Anybody know where I can pick up some sparkleoid? Or what is as good
Cheers
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Greg2013

Have been looking for this for two years on and off now and only place i could find it was USA  :'(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Will_D

Quick google tells me that Sparkeloid is a finning agent.

Potassium meta-bisulphate is not a finning agent! It is a yeast inhibitor and chlorine/chloramine remover from your liquor.
It also gives rise to hangovers and headaches - hence sulphite free wines!

It sounds from google that its an alginate based agent so just use half a wirfloc tab per 5 gallons or any other finning like isinglass,gelatin or the ultimate:  "Bren Murphs Magic Mix" (You will need to search the NHC for the last one)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Leann ull

Greg didn't you do an experiment with sparkeloid?

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on November 07, 2015, 09:07:06 PM
Greg didn't you do an experiment with sparkeloid?

Nope i was going to but never managed to get my hands on any,could only source it from USA and shipping was too much. I am hoping to get some one day as a lot of the Murican home brewers swear by it. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Parrot

This was all discussd before and a GB proposed here http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,4422.0.html I'm not sure if it ever happened but if anyone wants to get their mitts on genuine Sparkolloid (correct spelling for search purposes)it's made by Scott Labs in the U.S. and they do not export outside of the U.S.. However, Rick Morris at Brewhaus in Texas is a really good guy and will ship even small quantities like a 4oz bag. I buy 8 bags at a time and the shipping only costs $10.

I've found Sparkolloid absolutely brilliant for clearing wines but not so for beers.

Eoin

I got a bag of it from that previous thread. As it turns out, it's still in my fridge unused.

Parrot

Just back home and saw this, Eoin, why are you keeping Sparkolloid in the fridge? Just curious ;)

P 8)