• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 01:44:27 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yorkshire ale yeast looks weird

Started by delzep, March 03, 2014, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Anyone used this before? Should it look like this?

johnrm

it's hard to tell but it does look funky.
Is this from HBC?

delzep

Greg2013

I'm no expert (no shit says you) but to me it looks like the yeasties have separated from their carrier medium ? Possibly due to radical temperature fluctuations if i had to guess  ::)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

delzep

I gave it a good shake up and put it back in the fridge....after a while its ended up all clumpy again

Greg2013

Quote from: delzep on March 03, 2014, 08:08:00 PM
I gave it a good shake up and put it back in the fridge....after a while its ended up all clumpy again

Two options i can see 1) Bring it back to HBC for a replacement, 2) Do up a one gallon batch and chuck the lot in to see if it will kick off, if it doesn't you have only lost a gallon, if it does you have more yeasties to brew with, also doing this would tell you if it was funky or not ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

delzep

I have plenty of Notty so I'll brew up a batch, open the vial and if it stinks I'll use the Notty instead

johnrm

Get HBC to check their stock and send out a replacement.
They should be thanking you for not going to Joe Duffy  ;)

mr hoppy

I used this for a mild recently and it looked very clumpy, and even weirder in the fermenter (brown strands in the krausen!) but it was absolutely fine.

It's supposed to be very flocculent - some other English ale yeasts (maybe WLP013?) are prone to clumping as well.

johnrm

Is this what you're suggesting for the barrel?

delzep

DEMPSEY

Quote from: delzep on March 03, 2014, 10:28:21 PM
Quote from: johnrm on March 03, 2014, 10:24:32 PM
Is this what you're suggesting for the barrel?

?
john is not talking to you. :)he is talking to mr Happy. ;)

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

johnrm

Sorry, I thought mr h was pushing dodgy yeast our way.  >:D

The Homebrew Company

Hi Delzep,

I just emailed your yeast picture to white labs, see response below:

Hi Shane,

That strain is VERY flocculant and does tend to stick together in clumps like that. I forwarded the pic to our lab director (the resident yeast pro) and she said it looks fine. I hope you can reassure your customer to use it and the fermentation will speak for itself! :)

Hope that gives ya piece of mind.

Shane

delzep

Great stuff, thanks for your help. Look forward to using it now!