• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:34 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yorkshire ale yeast looks weird

Started by delzep, March 03, 2014, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr hoppy

March 04, 2014, 01:04:00 AM #15 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:08:29 PM by mr happy
Quote from: johnrm on March 03, 2014, 10:24:32 PM
Is this what you're suggesting for the barrel?

Yep, it's also what I used for the beer that seems to have gotten a silver medal on Saturday as well.

DEMPSEY

What beer are you planning with this yeast. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

delzep

Probably a mild. I'll wash it and reuse for something a bit later too

Will_D

Quote from: The Homebrew Company on March 03, 2014, 10:53:58 PM
Hi Delzep,

I just emailed your yeast picture to white labs, see response below:

Hi Shane,

That strain is VERY flocculant and does tend to stick together in clumps like that. I forwarded the pic to our lab director (the resident yeast pro) and she said it looks fine. I hope you can reassure your customer to use it and the fermentation will speak for itself! :)

Hope that gives ya piece of mind.

Shane
Wow, Well done Shane and Whitelabs!

That was some quick response!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

CARA

Quick update here, my Yorky looked the same and when i opened it, it fizzed all over the place and smelled FUNK-EE sour funky like so ditched it unfortunately, think this ended up also happening with Delzep?
Upa Sesh

delzep

Yep, smell like a delicious gueuze which unfortunately it shouldn't do. Got in contact with White Labs so see what they say

Garry

delzep

Nice find. My vial smelled a lot more like a "standard" Belgian yeast smell.....definately sour Belgian

See what White Labs say :)

mr hoppy

I'd a beer brewed with this dinged in the nationals as infected. It seems to have been because it had a lot of cloves going on.There was also a musty / earthy thing but I'm doing a rebrew because I think that was due to thamount of treacle I used in the recipe. As per garry's link, if you look at the chat on HBT this can throw a lot of cloves if fermented cool.

I'd drink / brew sours and brett so I'd know if that's what I had and it definitely wasn't, so maybe it's a different problem to you, but I thought I'd throw it out as a data point.

johnrm

I have 3 batches of beer on at the mo with this.
2 x Batches of October Ale (Barrel contributors)
1 small batch Yorkshire ESB.

CARA

Did your yeast smell like a geuze when you opened it though John?
Upa Sesh

johnrm

I didn't spend much time with my nose over it tbh.
The Vial I had was pretty active so fresh.
I must do some taste tests on the beers I've on.

LordEoin

my vial had a bit of a sour smell from it, but the beer itself doesn't smell or taste in any way like geuze.

johnrm

Actually, I made a starter and there was a nose off it, but I believe this is normal.
Chugged like a train once pitched.

LordEoin