• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 03, 2024, 07:32:03 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Irish beer Clone Recipes?

Started by admin, November 05, 2012, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewDorg

27! Wow that's some difference. I cooled it to 19 and let it free rise, no ferm control. Even at that, mine still tasted slightly more phenolic that the original.

vinyljunkie

Anyone tried to clone Whiplash Rollover Session?

Parabellum

Quote from: Will_D on December 10, 2012, 10:36:47 AM

Would it not be awesome for the NHC to create:

[size=14]"Irish Clone Beers by the NHC"[/size].

The way it would work is to approach the micros for their basic recipes and any info they are prepared to give away. I know some are prepared to share. Others will not.

We then list those recipes as definitives and lock the thread.

We would still brew them up I'm sure. But IMO they are what we have been told and should not be tweaked.

For the others we make up the clone recipe ourselves either from existing recipes published on the NHC and other sites.

Then a few experienced brewers ( a job for the regional groups ) brew them up, taste then, compare notes and then the recipe is tweaked, brewed again etc. and finally  published as a "Official tested, NHC Clone" and the thread locked.

If we get enough recipes (there are after all a huge number of Irish beers currently being produced) then we COULD publish the book to world-wide acclaim.

WHO would be willing to take on the role of editor?:

Initially the editor would structure the Forum:

Sticky: Rules of Forum

Identify the beers to start with, list them as threads.

Only the editor or his appointed contact who knows the owners well would contact the brewers. With recipes received they would be published and locked.

The empty threads would be initially updated by the members who would publish the recipe(s).

Editor would then ask the regional brewing groups to select a beer and brew it, taste and tweak.

Then the recipe would be posted on the thread as the only post and then the thread would be locked.

Over time the forum would evolve into the recipe book.

This idea would give great impetus and focus to the regional brewing groups and a solid pupose to the NHC.

Already I have book 2 in mind: "Cloned Irish Beers of the Past" where we re-create the forgotten great beers from Irelands Past, including how Guiness, Smithwicks, Beamish, Murphys USED to be before the industrials moved in.

What do we think lads?

Will

Sorry for dragging up an old thread like this but just wondering would anyone else be up for following through on the idea put forward in Post 10 of this thread by Will_D?

Recently came across this on the American Homebrewers Association website: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/top-50-commercial-clone-beer-recipes/

I think this might be a good format to follow - a clone recipe for one of the standout beers from each county (i.e. Of Foam and Fury for Galway and Ambush for Kildare).
And it might prove to be a nice way to emulate the beers we like to enjoy and the breweries we like to support.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that this might prove more difficult for counties which have a greater number of breweries and even more so for counties with just one brewery...
Plus the whole thing of approaching a micro-enterprise for its IP...

Anyway was just wondering what would be the general feeling among club members with developing this?

Fermenting 1: Zombie Dust AG
Fermenting 2: Zombie Dust Extract
Conditioning 1: Abdji
Conditioning 2: -

CH

I think you'll find we brew better beer than the commercial offerings I've tasted recently as they suffer from the constraints of having to use old hops numerous fermentation/packaging flaws and commercial financial constraints on ingredients!
I've tried some of the recipes posted by winners of the Nationals and they are way better than any commercial products I've had.
Having said all that if you could get whiplash to reveal all their secrets I wouldn't say no

DEMPSEY

I also  find that just having a recipe is not enough. Most commercial beers have fairly simple recipes with homebrewers being the ones who like complicated ones :rolleyes:.  The brewing equipment  and general process can produce 2 different beers from the same recipe.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

CH

I spose that BS from Brewdog proves that?

Parabellum

Quote from: CH on July 23, 2018, 04:04:43 PM
I think you'll find we brew better beer than the commercial offerings I've tasted recently as they suffer from the constraints of having to use old hops numerous fermentation/packaging flaws and commercial financial constraints on ingredients!
I've tried some of the recipes posted by winners of the Nationals and they are way better than any commercial products I've had.
Having said all that if you could get whiplash to reveal all their secrets I wouldn't say no

I know what you mean, there's a lot of pale ales, stouts and red ales about that don't really say anything. And often disappointed by the variance in quality when picking up a few at the weekend...

I haven't really used many of the NHC recipes and have tried to imitate some of the American micros such as Pipeworks and Three Floyds, but will give one of the winning recipes a go for the next batch.

If we could do that we'd be flying it  :P

@DEMPSEY - You're dead right, but that's half the craic   :)

There is a large degree of naivety in this from myself, as I wouldn't be as experienced a brewer as a lot of the NHC members, but I have given the few recipes approximating Irish microbreweries a bash (with varying success) and there is a bit of craic in trying to clone a beer. Even if we got a good approximation of some recipes I'd be pretty happy!
Fermenting 1: Zombie Dust AG
Fermenting 2: Zombie Dust Extract
Conditioning 1: Abdji
Conditioning 2: -

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

nigel_c

Bumping this thread in the hope of resurrecting it.

irish_goat

Quote from: nigel_c on July 10, 2019, 09:59:43 AM
Bumping this thread in the hope of resurrecting it.

What ye looking for?

nigel_c

Not really looking for anything but with Dec generously posting recipes we could do something with it here.

irish_goat

Worth a go.

I want the Scraggy Bay recipe if anyone reckons they know it. I'd fairly confident it has Simcoe and Citra in it but I'm not sure what the malt bill looks like at all.

phildo79

Have you tried emailing Kinnegar? The fella that owns it, Rick, seems like a decent bloke. Might throw you a bone.

irish_goat

Quote from: phildo79 on July 10, 2019, 01:49:26 PM
Have you tried emailing Kinnegar? The fella that owns it, Rick, seems like a decent bloke. Might throw you a bone.

Ah yeah I'd know Rick well enough. I just always forget to ask him!