• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:52:29 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Taste of Yeast

Started by irish_goat, January 23, 2015, 11:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Weight is an issue for fermentation. A large body of wort is more dense and so the pressure on the yeast is different than for us brewing a 5 gallon batch. Guinness ferment at higher than normal because the vertical vessel put so much pressure on the yeast. Some Belgium brewers used horizontal fermenter's rather than vertical ones to help counteract this ;).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Rossa

Quote from: Qs on January 23, 2015, 06:24:03 PM
Quote from: Bubbles on January 23, 2015, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: Rossa on January 23, 2015, 12:40:20 PM
Some of the big boys use dry yeast and others want to so I hope it's not just my snobbery of dry yeast coming out.

They certainly do.. My understanding is that O'Haras, Metalman and Galway Bay all use Nottingham. For their "regular" ales, that is..

Galway Hooker (and probably lots of others here) use US-05. I think Blacks use it too.

Bru use Notty for their main beers too. And I'm told they ferment quite hot with it.
Yep. Around 26c.

ferg

Quote from: irish_goat on January 23, 2015, 11:20:18 AM
Just wondering have people noticed the lees of different yeast varieties tasting different? I had a bottle of White Hag IPA the other day and the first sip I had before emptying the bottle was great but when I poured the lees in it wasn't particularly nice anymore. The overriding thought I had in my head was that it had a homebrew twang to it but also, my own homebrews don't taste bad when I pour the yeast into the glass. Not sure what yeast White Hag use but I generally use notty or WLP007 and happily dump the entire contents into the glass. My cousin had the same thoughts and he's not a brewer at all (but knows good beer from bad).

Obviously certain beers like hefeweizen are supposed to be drunk with the yeast swirled through the drink so it got me thinking do certain yeasts lend themselves better to bottle conditioning if you're not gonna pour carefully?

About a week an and half ago I got a bottle of white hag that had such a bad taste of autolysed yeast that it was undrinkable! Had another bottle from a different source a week later and it was back to bring my favourite Irish IPA.. Yes I'd generally avoid the sediment.

DEMPSEY

I don't drink the sediment either :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hop Bomb

Notty got the boot from GBB a few months ago. US05 for the hoppy beers & US04 on the malty ones at present. The speciality beers get the Wyeast treatment.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

irish_goat

Quote from: ferg on January 25, 2015, 10:48:53 AM
About a week an and half ago I got a bottle of white hag that had such a bad taste of autolysed yeast that it was undrinkable! Had another bottle from a different source a week later and it was back to bring my favourite Irish IPA.. Yes I'd generally avoid the sediment.

Not sure I actually know what autolysed yeast tastes like so maybe that was the problem and not the yeast variety itself. 

Will_D

Quote from: irish_goat on January 28, 2015, 04:17:18 PM
Not sure I actually know what autolysed yeast tastes like so maybe that was the problem and not the yeast variety itself.
Marmite ? ?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

irish_goat

Quote from: Will_D on January 28, 2015, 09:44:57 PM
Quote from: irish_goat on January 28, 2015, 04:17:18 PM
Marmite ? ?

Haven't actually tasted that stuff in years but I have been meaning to give it a go again.

Bubbles

Just wondering have people noticed the lees of different yeast varieties tasting different? I had a bottle of White Hag IPA the other day and the first sip I had before emptying the bottle was great but when I poured the lees in it wasn't particularly nice anymore. The overriding thought I had in my head was that it had a homebrew twang to it but also, my own homebrews don't taste bad when I pour the yeast into the glass. Not sure what yeast White Hag use but I generally use notty or WLP007 and happily dump the entire contents into the glass. My cousin had the same thoughts and he's not a brewer at all (but knows good beer from bad).

Obviously certain beers like hefeweizen are supposed to be drunk with the yeast swirled through the drink so it got me thinking do certain yeasts lend themselves better to bottle conditioning if you're not gonna pour carefully?

I must have got a bottle from the same batch at the weekend... tasted pretty shit.. yeasty, slightly astringent, slightly marmitey. Didn't finish it.

Once again we're back to the lack of quality consistency coming from some of the Irish craft breweries.

Bubbles

Quote from: Hop Bomb on January 28, 2015, 03:58:35 PMUS04 on the malty ones at present.

Surprised to hear that.. I know a lot of home brewers (myself included) who wouldn't have a good word to say about the strain.

Then again, a lot of us wouldn't have access to the fermentation temperature control and ability to do controlled crash cooling that GBB has.

Hop Bomb

I said that exact thing when we made the switch but Stormy Port, Buried etc all tasting great.

Bubbles

yeah, might be a case of knowing how to get the best out of it. I never could, and moved to WhiteLabs for my English ale yeasts.

I think part of the problem is that the yeast itself tastes like ass. So you have to use long and/or cold conditioning to get it to totally drop out.

I'm in the Dark Horse later this evening, and a pint of Stormy Port is first on my list..  ;)

molc

Ahh Stormy port. Over the last few years it's really involved into a very tasty drink. Was pretty bland when it first started...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Hop Bomb

The recipe got a make a year ago. RE: s04 -  We got some 4000L conditioning tanks around the same time we switched yeast & as a result stormy, bay ale & buried at sea all get an extra week conditioning so that probably helps things a lot.

revel_and_chaff

Funny to come across this post by accident - I just drank a bottle of White Hag IPA this evening for the first time and I actually couldn't finish it. It tasted exactly like a terrible IPA kit that I brewed very early on in my career where I had placed it on top of a radiator nightly while fermenting as the temperature had gotten too low during the day. I couldn't finish that batch either...
So revel and chaff as ye thirstily quaff, under six feet of dirt it's less easy to laugh!