• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:32:53 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BrewCon 2016

Started by irish_goat, January 10, 2016, 05:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

February 29, 2016, 12:01:58 PM #45 Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:20:30 PM by CH
Folks this is the last couple of Days for Members to have exclusive access to Brewcon Tickets.
Takeup has been better than last year but with 300+ members we want to make sure you don't miss out.

We will be posting more of these summaries in the coming week.

This conference is aimed at all levels not just experts and no matter what level you are at you should learn something.

We will also allow you an opportunity to submit questions in advance.

And so to whet you appetite here is a synopsis from one of our speakers Dr Bill Simpson;

Defining the flavour characteristics of different beer styles

Dr Bill Simpson, Cara Technology Limited.

Beers can be classified into styles in one of two ways. In the 'top down' approach we instinctively know that a beer is an IPA rather than a Rauchbier or Czech Pilsner.
We do this through use of complex 'pattern' recognition, with learning taking place every time we evaluate or drink an example of each beer style. In many respects this way of identifying beer styles is instinctive and occurs without conscious thought.
In the 'bottom up' approach, tasters look for individual beer flavour attributes, alongside an evaluation of beer appearance and alcohol strength. The identity of an unknown beer style can then be deduced using a set of rules. Learning to identify beer styles in this way take places quickly, typically in a matter of days rather than years.

In this presentation I'll share with you some of the key flavour attributes of some well-known styles of beer and show how you can use this approach to improve your 'blind' identification of beer styles and to brew better beer.

irish_goat

Particularly excited about Dr Bill Simpson myself, if people want to check out his LinkedIn page he has a massive wealth of experience and qualifications. Will especially be of interest to brewers who enter and judge at our homebrew competitions.

beerfly

DEMPSEY

Just had a look at his linkedin page and so I am looking forward to his talk :).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

maGROOTS

Fair play guys / gals for getting Chip Walton over. I learned how to brew from watching him and Michael Dawson (and Keeler) in the Brewing TV videos and Chop and Brew videos (and how to smoke meat).

Really really looking forward to this.

If you haven't seen any of his videos: "All about stout" is a good one, where the guys brew up 2 Dublin stouts, one from the 1880s, and the other a modern dry Irish stout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADJoeKFMqk   

Dr Jacoby

A small suggestion for the Brewcon website: include the date somewhere on the homepage. It took me a while to find it.
Every little helps

Dr Jacoby

Brewcon takes place exactly 500 years to the day after the Purity Laws were first introduced in Bavaria. Fantastic timing!
Every little helps

DEMPSEY

God had a hand in our planning. He on our side you know because he invented brewing for us mortals to discover ;)

Dr Jacoby

Plus he makes the water, grain and hops come together to make beer. There's nothing else out there that can do that. Nothing. No other explanation at all. 
Every little helps

DEMPSEY

He's a good lad that God fella,just don't piss him off though :P

Dr Jacoby

Stay away from microscopes and you'll be fine.
Every little helps

Leann ull

Folks our Vendors and Friends of the NHC were all approached and we have the following very kind sponsor list who have excelled themselves with vouchers, giveaways, beer for our goody bag and on the day.

Please support these kind folks with your custom as they really have made a huge difference to an event like ours which is run on a tight budget and which benefits the members and those attending.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Excellent stuff, can't wait!!!
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Pheeel

It's going to be hard to carry that free grainfather home on the bus...  :P
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Leann ull

I'm sure you'll find a way ;)