• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 02:12:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Liffey brewers and south Kildare brewers

Started by delzep, April 18, 2013, 12:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Is it worth merging these two, at least until there are more south Kildare brewers as there is very little activity in their forum section? Dunno what the travel situation is from the likes of Newbridge to Lucan, but at least theres the oppurtunity of a regular monthly meet for them which doesn't seem to be happening at the mo (not that they can't come along anyway as it stands of course)

delzep

How do other regional areas of the country meet up?

delzep

Its gonna be an issue for any midland homebrewers in the future really unless someone agrees to be a designated dessie on a rota basis or something

delzep

The cost would be equally ridiculous too.

Maybe a solution would be a bus from Naas/Kildare/Newbridge area to Newlands Cross and taxi with meself Colin and IsMise (assuming the buses can get them home again)?

delzep

Now we're getting there. Taxi could go through Adamstown and pick up whoever gets the train

What about return trains though? ???

that smiley  ???

brilliant  ;D

delzep

What bus is that?

Bus both ways would be cheaper

delzep

Tenner return with them isn't too bad. Maybe post it in the south Kildare section and see what they say?

brenmurph

April 18, 2013, 04:01:48 PM #7 Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:05:14 PM by brenmurph
Hi Lads, as some of you know we have a hell of a lot of action here in kildare.
Myself and kellie are brewing continuosly.
right now we have 2 wine batches fermenting and 3 drinking
7 beers in kegs drinking and 3 fermenting.
Almost 2 brews per week (96 batches/ brews in 56 weeks)
We had 11 brews in B&C competiions

We have offered a mash day to NHC every month, several turned up and had a good experience.

The offer is open to NHC and it may pay to promote it.

I dont know of anyone else brewing at our level and frequency.

transport to kildare.......

green bus luas 30 mins for a fiver from airport for a tenner

bus eireann city to kildare

train sation from  heuston

or car 25 mins

we collect visitors from bus or train

we have car parking and so on at our base.

we can accomodate campervan or camping for  saying over

we offer good food and beer free of charge ( small pressies / donations of beer / welcome)

we have our own group of beer enthusiasts on our meet up site

hope  dis clarifies

delzep

That is busy  :)

What I meant about perhaps merging the two was to do with the quantity of people rather than a couple of people brewing enough for 20!

brenmurph

As was previously mentioned it is cumbersome to commmute from Kildare naas, newbridge to lucan. Plenty ways to get to clondalkin, luas, city centre from kildare but then getting across to lucan is a battle.

It may make more sense to keep south of the liffey and north of liffey seperate from the point of view that its more commutable.

Myself and kellie attended 3 meets in lucan and brought guests along as well each time. I plan to attend more Lucan events, however we drive and need a designated driver.
if there was a meet in say clondalkin or even city centre we can hop on green bus for a fiver.

delzep

Clondalkin would really suit me  ;)

I don't think there would be a suitable venue though  :(

Maybe one of the more established Clondalkin heads in here could think of somewhere?

brenmurph

Quote from: delzep on April 18, 2013, 12:47:49 PM
but at least theres the oppurtunity of a regular monthly meet for them which doesn't seem to be happening at the mo (not that they can't come along anyway as it stands of course)

Just to clarify, we have weekly meets and often have up to a dozen people attend. HBC members have come from abbeyleix, portlaoise, Kilcullen, newbridge, athy, portarlington and dublin.
Our meet up club has several regular members some are also HBC members and most recently we have recruited as members 4 staff from O Briens in Naas and one of the main people in Hartes Gastropub in Kildare.

So once again Im pretty sure we are probably the most active and pro-active group of beer and brewing fans in the country.
I'd like to see a lot more real life meet ups and mauybe a little less talk....lets say " less talk and more action"

We can talk and type all day but brewing is a very poractical hobby (smell, taste, procedures, hygeine, design, support, visual demonstrations) and I really feel we need a lot more practical, hands-on involvement.....thats exactly what we do.

Once again we have a great group of enthusiasts, regular meets, brew days, pub visits and HBC members are welcome onboard to our events. Ive had 5 mash days, well attended and these will continue so although we brew weekly and have beer tasks every day minding our creations we invite formally HBC members once a month so as not overload the system with brew days.

Perhaps theres not much "South Kildare" forum activity partly because we banter and brew in glorious detail at our brew days!

delzep

Ah I see, I wasn't aware that went on outside of this site

brenmurph

I have been brewing since 1983. We brew batches weekly. The brewdays HBC members attended have been displayed on the HBC calender as "south Kildare mash". This Sat is the next event.
All HBC members are welcome as usual to enjoy tasting, testing, brewing and all things beer!

Blueshed

should make it down this Saturday, anybody want a lift from the Maynooth - Clane area let me know.