• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 30, 2024, 11:42:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Order Arrived+ Start Of Coopers Irish Stout Brew.

Started by Greg2013, January 07, 2013, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

Hang onto it you will need it for your third bucket

LordEoin

I find that the best way to remove labels is in the bathtub.
Fill it enough to cover all bottles with hot water and leave it for a day.
When you come back to them the labels generally slip right off and the glue is easy to scrub off.
Some labels can be problematic though  :(

I sterilise in an oven too, 10 mins at 100-120 is fine.

Greg2013

I can't remember exact figures now but give or take 10gr these are the weights of the bottles;

Erdinger 250gr

Tyskie 350gr

Tiger Beer 420gr :o

As you can see the tiger beer are the best of the lot since they are more dense,also imho they are slightly better looking too ;D

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Ok call a doctor i just said one beer bottle was better looking than the other :o :o :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

JimmyM

Formerly JamesM.

irish_goat

Tiger bottles are indeed very sturdy but the labels are a nightmare to get off. They're by far the toughest I've encountered.

O'Hara's, Whitewater or nearly any German bottle are piss easy.

Greg2013

January 15, 2013, 01:27:58 PM #171 Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:29:20 PM by deadman1972
I have found today that filling the bottles with as hot water as you can handle and laying them on their side in a sink full of hot water fully immersed does the trick.

Tyskie bottles(Polish) were by far the easiest so far and hardly needed any persuasion. As i said before the bottles from Dungarvan Brewing Company were by far the hardest but not impossible by any means. No label will stand up to 30mins in 60c water :o ;D

Greg2013

I will leave that to someone else to answer. I just know that although i personally from now on will be trying to get Tyskie and Tiger bottles whenever i can, any of the Dungarvan Brewery ones as well. I feel confident that the Tyskie and Tiger could stand up to high carb brews if they had to whereas i would have my doubts now about the erdinger long term. :)

Hop Bomb

Brewdog have been the worst labels for me so far. Sierra Nevada have been the easiest. I soak mine in a bucket of oxy clean. They just fall off & I just wipe the glue away with a cloth. Then bang em in the dishwasher & they come out brand new.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Greg2013

A lot of the bottles like Brew Dog have to be purchased, the ones i got were freebies.

Hop Bomb

There is a guy in the Bull & Castle that post on beoir forum said he'd keep any amount of bottles for home brewers. He just needs a few days notice. If yer gona be up for the comp its worth sending him a message.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

newToBrew

hey Deadman - you should leave the labels on  a few bottles - I always find it funny to have some unsuspecting person open a bottle of Erdinger - Guinness Stout - whatever only to be greeted with a Pale Ale/ect

Also with the Guinness Bottles - its kinda fun to try and see how your own HB stout passes off

Although  - now I guess I've become known for it, its hard to catch anyone out !!

I do recall doing what you've done - soaking bottles - think I gave @ 60 of them a nice bath one night
these days I dont bother really - I find over time the labels kinda come off as your washing them  @ bottle night
Also the beer don't care what the label says !!!
coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

Thats true newtobrew but i want to put on my own labels plus when i get to cleaning i can't stop, 15yrs of working in a pharmaceutical factory its second nature now. ::)

LordEoin

Greg2013

Have not a clue me lud, ciderhead was giving out to me so i said i would leave it the full ten days before cracking it open to check the gravity,started out at 1.041 as far as i recall.