• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:13 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

36 Gallon Whiskey Casks

Started by CARA, March 22, 2013, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARA

Would there be any interest in a Bushmills Whiskey Cask group buy? Would just like to survey numbers to figure out logistics and explore a group discount. At the minute they are around the 40 sterling mark per cask. Location is NW N. Ireland so we would need to arrange delivery either to a central pick up location or delivery to local brew clubs etc. The casks will be guaranteed freshly emptied (1 week or less)
Upa Sesh

JimmyM

Sounds good declan. Whats the plan?

Do you envisage that perhaps each regional club may want to buy their own cask and the members individually brew a batch to fill it?

I think the core membership in the south dublin club, may be a little small at the moment, but we could possibly join forces with another club - possibly north wickla (when they form) to fill one.
Formerly JamesM.

Bubbles

Quotepossibly north wickla (when they form) to fill one.

As was discussed the other night, you mean the "Continuity" South Dublin Brewers!?

;D ;D ;D

CARA

@jimmym Yeah that would be the plan, but as tube says at the price a few people might want to try private projects also.

1. Liffey Brewers
2. Capital Brewers
3. CARA
Upa Sesh

JimmyM

March 22, 2013, 02:17:51 PM #4 Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:18:44 PM by JamesM
Yeah I suppose - the price is really a bit rediculous isnt it :)
Delivery will bring it up slightly -
I'll go over Conor's head and say we'll take one for South Dublin. I can store it for a time if I need to.

1. Liffey Brewers
2. Capital Brewers
3. CARA
4. South Dublin Brewers (JimmyM)

Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

QuoteDec, what capacity are these again?

36 Gallons - its in the title :)
Formerly JamesM.

Tucan

I'll run it by the SE lads tomorrow.

Bubbles

I'll go over Conor's head and say we'll take one for South Dublin. I can store it for a time if I need to.

:o :-[

jesus lad, I've spent my whole life avoiding responsibility! don't give me any at this stage of my life!  ;) :)

Sounds like a great idea. I've no trouble contributing a few gallons to the barrel. I'd just have nowhere to store it myself.

CARA

Ill offer storage for the Capital unless anyone with better facilities volunteers (I'm moving house on Monday  :) :) )
Upa Sesh

JimmyM

:o :-[

jesus lad, I've spent my whole life avoiding responsibility! don't give me any at this stage of my life!  ;) :)

Sounds like a great idea. I've no trouble contributing a few gallons to the barrel. I'd just have nowhere to store it myself.

I can store it at least til it needs to be filled - and probably afterwards too.

Now i think about it 36 gallons isnt that much - we should have no probs filling it.
Formerly JamesM.

Will_D

1. Liffey Brewers
2. Capital Brewers
3. CARA
4. South Dublin Brewers (JimmyM)
5. North County (maybe - just posted a thread)

If NCB'ers don't bite I may just get one meself to sniff!!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

nigel_c

Good man Will. Beat me to it. Count me in for the north county brewers.

Snuff

Doesn't sound much of a deal at £40 per 36 gallon.
First hit from google gives £69 for a 56 gallon - http://www.kilgraney.com/KFoakbarrels.htm
Is it going to be cheaper than £40 for a bulk buy?
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

JimmyM

Declan whats the dimensions of these things?
Formerly JamesM.

Will_D

Somebody asked about the dimensions on the regional threads so I will respond on the master thread:

Barrels do tend to vary in shape - depends on the cooperage. Couldn't find any refs to an actual size. So here goes:

A 35 gallon is probably a 36 (standard size and is called a Barrel)

This is contains 163 litres.

Approximating the barrel to a cylinder and assuming a 2 to 1 aspect ratio the cylinder would be:

470 x 940 mm

Should easily fit through a door way.

Main problem is the weight when full approx 200 Kgs!
When its full it will be a bugger to move.

Also when getting the barrels can we get some stillages?

These are nothing less than the curved wooden resting/stacking things that allow barrels to be stored horizontally when filling and when full.

They can be made out of 3*2" timber and a jig-saw but if we can get them free so much the better.

We need one for every barrel and probably a pallet as well to move them. Who has a pallet truck?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing