• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 11:09:22 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thur 30th July

Started by Bubbles, July 02, 2015, 12:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Hi folks,

Next meet on Thur 30th July. See further details here. Please sign up below if attending.

Cheers,
Bubbles.

Shanna

1. Bubbles  - Saison, Cider
2. Shanna - American IPA & Munich "Schlecht" la
ger
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

1. Bubbles  - Saison, Cider
2. Shanna - American IPA & Munich "Schlecht" lager
3. Molc - Sweet Porter, Cider
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

irish_goat

Bubbles

Just checked.. According to google translate it means "bad"! :)

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on July 03, 2015, 02:28:15 PM
Just checked.. According to google translate it means "bad"! :)
Continuing on my long tradition of beers with both questionable names & quality :) In my defense it's a lager that I did with a decoction mash.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Decoction. Aren't you a glutton for punishment. Did you just do a single boil or go the whole hog on it?

Shanna

Quote from: molc on July 03, 2015, 08:58:25 PM
Decoction. Aren't you a glutton for punishment. Did you just do a single boil or go the whole hog on it?
All three boils using a ham stock pot to decoct & boil. All was good till I started to sparge & it stuck. Was reduced to bailing with saucepan & colander not a pretty sight :( I toyed with the idea of chucking it but while it is remarkably dark it is clear if that makes any kind of sense. The decoction itself was not terribly difficult & it was cool to see the decocted portion hitting the mash temperature. Just a huge sense of anti climax when the sparge stuck. I get the impression the beer is lacking in body & it's not terribly malty, despite the 90% Munich Malt bill. Lesson learned again 're my grain mill, am keeping a suplly of oat hulls on standby for future beers.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

That's a crazy amount of effort to go to in order to produce a beer. If I was you i'd chuck that mill in the bin and invest in something decent. How many batches has it ruined now?

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on July 04, 2015, 01:51:46 PM
That's a crazy amount of effort to go to in order to produce a beer. If I was you i'd chuck that mill in the bin and invest in something decent. How many batches has it ruined now?
Two & counting but it's a convenient excuse :)  It cost me close to €100 so I might try persevere. To be honest begining to wonder is it also a problem with my false bottom.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Some day you're doing a crush, maybe one of us should bring over one of our mills and do the crush to compare? A 100 roller mill should never have a crush issue...

Shanna

Quote from: molc on July 05, 2015, 10:23:37 AM
Some day you're doing a crush, maybe one of us should bring over one of our mills and do the crush to compare? A 100 roller mill should never have a crush issue...
Good idea if someone would oblige would be interested to see the difference. It could be my drill is not up to scratch either as sometimes I get through it without any problems.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Leann ull

Touch of the "pineapple chunk syndrome" there  :( try and focus of brewing a couple of good beers and getting it right rather than frustrating yourself again, this time with a really tricky process that has the potential for a car crash, especially now you have temp control.
I am a reasonably proficient brewer and I wouldn't touch decoction with yours never mind mine, for two reasons, ends don't justify the means and potential for it becoming a pigs arse  :-[
Maybe someday when I'm bored...

I know you have gap right as you used my feeler gauges, I did get them back? I use credit cards now in any case, mostly hers.