• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:15:11 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone around the dun laoghaire area willing to taste some beer?

Started by craiclad, August 03, 2015, 06:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craiclad

Hey all,

I'm a relatively new brewer with about 10 batches under my belt, and I'm looking for feedback from someone with an experienced palate. I wanted to drop by the meet a couple of days ago, but was away over the weekend so I couldn't make it down...

The reason I'm asking is that I seem to have a slight off note in my beers since switching to all grain, and I can't tell if it's something to do with my water/mash ph (which I have never adjusted as of yet) or if I have a more serious sanitation issue.

All said, would anyone be interested in drinking a pint of my swill? I have a mosaic/MO SMaSH (5.8% ABV) and a hefeweizen (4% ABV) on offer.

Thanks guys!

molc

Best bet is to swing by the south Dublin brewers meet at the end of the month and bring along a bottle. Also I think there are one or two of them living in the area.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Pity you missed the meet last week. As molc says, they're great for getting feedback and suggestions for improvements. Keep an eye on the South Dublin forum for details of the next meet, should be the last Thursday of the month.

craiclad

Quote from: molc on August 03, 2015, 10:32:15 AM
Best bet is to swing by the south Dublin brewers meet at the end of the month and bring along a bottle. Also I think there are one or two of them living in the area.

Quote from: Bubbles on August 03, 2015, 04:10:36 PM
Pity you missed the meet last week. As molc says, they're great for getting feedback and suggestions for improvements. Keep an eye on the South Dublin forum for details of the next meet, should be the last Thursday of the month.

Yeah it's a shame! Doubly so because I don't think I'll be in the country for the next meet... Hopefully the one after?

Shanna

Quote from: craiclad on August 03, 2015, 05:46:31 PM
Quote from: molc on August 03, 2015, 10:32:15 AM

Quote from: Bubbles on August 03, 2015, 04:10:36 PM
Yeah it's a shame! Doubly so because I don't think I'll be in the country for the next meet... Hopefully the one after?
Might I suggest that you try describe the off taste as somebody might be able to explain based on your description.

Shanna

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

auralabuse

There is a really good off flavour pdf for quick viewing..type beer off flavours flash into Google. Sorry won't let me link here

craiclad

Quote from: Shanna on August 03, 2015, 06:45:55 PM

Might I suggest that you try describe the off taste as somebody might be able to explain based on your description.

Shanna

For me, the flavour seems to be a sort of astringent sourness. It's quite hard to describe, as sometimes my palate recognises it as bitter whereas other times my palate recognises it as sour. This is the main reason I was looking for a second opinion, as a good diagnosis of what sort of flavour it is would give me a huge boost in the right direction. 

Seeing as I have no major visual signs of infection (no white pellicle etc), I'm working on the basis that my mash PH is too high and I'm extracting tannins. My plan is to start using bottled water and see if that fixes the issue (as well as making one extract batch to ensure that it's not an infection problem). 

The irritating thing is that I've brewed four batches in preparation for a friends birthday in the same week, and this problem has only come to my attention over the last couple of days... So I'm either going to be serving sub-par beer or no beer at all.

craiclad

So good news... I think the beer was just green! the flavour has all but disappeared over the last week, leaving behind some mighty fine concoctions. Hope to see you all at the next meet up, and thanks for your advice.

Shanna

Quote from: craiclad on August 08, 2015, 09:34:44 AM
So good news... I think the beer was just green! the flavour has all but disappeared over the last week, leaving behind some mighty fine concoctions. Hope to see you all at the next meet up, and thanks for your advice.
Not sure what real advice was given :) but glad it's sorted out itself. If you have a Weiss bier bring it along to our next meet where we are having a friendly (read no prizes) competition.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Shanna

Quote from: molc on August 08, 2015, 05:59:55 PM
Haha did shanna make the wrong beer? :)
Misquoted the style but given I only brewed mine last weekend it won't be done in time anyway :( Going to enter mine in the Liffey brewers German beer competition. I thought it was a Weiss bier but given my recipe has white wheat, oats & flaked maize I could probably wing it :) The yeast might be a problem though!!!! Given its not a BJCP I would hope there would be some latitude shown, if then maybe some mercy :)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Hehe it's all good. I was just slagging :) drinking my wit right now actually. It's a little green still but certainly an interesting beer. Not really sure what a good one tastes like for comparison....

Shanna

Quote from: molc on August 08, 2015, 08:23:34 PM
Hehe it's all good. I was just slagging :) drinking my wit right now actually. It's a little green still but certainly an interesting beer. Not really sure what a good one tastes like for comparison....
Blue moon, Hoe gaarden are two commercial witbeers that you could compare.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer