• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 06:34:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Galway Bay Brewery trip

Started by eanna, January 02, 2013, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eanna

Hi Guys,
At our last meet-up we saw that Engineers Ireland had a visit out to the brewery in the Oslo, and we decided we should try to organize a visit to there too. I've been in contact with Chris out there and he would be happy to show us around and we can organize food out there too. Friday February 15th or the week after works for him, or one of the Saturdays could be arranged.
It should be a great opportunity to see how the professionals do it and to ask some questions to improve our own brews!
We can discuss this at our next meeting (Jan 25th), but if people can give an idea of what days they could make it, that would be great.

St. Fursey

Either suits me Eanna. Might be a good opportunity to refloat the idea of the Oslo as a venue for hosting our monthly meetings  ;)

Kevco5

Hop Bomb

Sounds like a good afternoon. Im easy for whatever date.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

eanna

OK, so its all set for Friday the 15th at 7 pm. Had a very positive phone call with a manager there yesterday and he is more than happy for us to have our homebrew meeting there as well. Apparently the manager of the Salthouse who didn't want anything to do with us is gone, and there will be a more consistent homebrewer-friendly attitude in the Brewery's pubs from now on. The back area there has been booked for a party, but we will be getting finger food in the front area after the tour.

If there are people that want to come that I didn't count at the last meeting, just post here or pm me so I can keep track of numbers. You're more than welcome, I just want to keep a rough idea of how many are coming.

Now I can add "organised a piss-up in a brewery" to my CV!

Kevco5

eanna

Ya, sorry you can't make it Kev. If we were to make it a regular thing to meet there they could probably give you a private tour sometime. Like I said, great reception from the two guys I was talking to but we'll see how it goes before we change our meeting venue.

Kevco5

Considering they've four pubs, it would be great if they could accommodate us for meets, even if it meant alternating venues.
Far more impressed by their selection of draft beer than what was on offer in the townhouse the last night!

St. Fursey

Great news! I'll have to see what I can rustle up for the next meeting

AaronH

Brilliant, cheers Eanna. I'll be there!

eanna

I won't have anything to bring, just ordered grain today for a Youngs double chocolate clone recipe  :(

AaronH

February 02, 2013, 08:16:42 PM #11 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:21:52 PM by thecosmicfrog
QuoteI won't have anything to bring, just ordered grain today for a Youngs double chocolate clone recipe  :(

Me neither. I have some manner of Black Rock blonde ale that I hope to brew over the next few weeks. I have a few sachets of those hop teabags, so I plan on hopping the hell out of it with saaz or progress.

J o e

Great work Eanna! I may be able to get a couple of other Galway brewers to this and introduced to the club.

kev

IsMise

Hi galway hbc, just back from a weekend in salt hill with my dearly beloved, shmbo,,,, my main interest was to visit the Oslo brew pub and sample their beers. I must say I got a great reception from Chris, Karl, and Hannah, got a brief tour of the brewery setup and history by Chris, sampled their very tasty beers, served by Karl and Hannah, and meself and the wife had a lovely meal, definitely a gastro brew pub worth returning to. I thought the galway brewers were meeting on there on Fri 8th but got my dates wrong....
Good luck for the future lads, keep up d brewing, theres
no doubt the Wests awake.  ;)

Is Mise,