• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 11, 2024, 01:01:30 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Gozdawa Imperial IPA

Started by johnrm, September 15, 2015, 01:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

Well, firstly, thanks to Homebrewwest and Beoir for this (Raffle on Beoir)

The Kit contains... 2 cans, yeast and instructions.

Making this up is like any other kit.
Sit the cans in hot water to soften the Malt.
The cans have a ring pull which means you don't need a tin opener - nice touch.
Pour malt into sanitised fermenter.
Rinse Cans with boiling water.
Add a kettle of boiling water, then cold, topping up to 22.5l at 20C
Gravity was 1.042 which is low for an Imperial IPA. Hmmm...
I have to admit I did not rehydrate the yeast, but pitched directly on the wort.

Pretty painless, although it claims to be an Imperial IPA but there is no mention of adding sugar other than for bottling.
I have had recommendation to bump the Gravity by adding sugar, but I'm going to leave it as is in keeping with the instructions.

Per instructions I had it at 20C for 24hrs, now its at 15C.

Wait and see...

johnrm

Oops I won it on Beoir so the review should have gone there.

Anyhoo, I have contacted the manufacturer for the lowdown on the kits as there is a distinct lack of clarity on how when and what they mean by refermentation.

Maybe Brian in HBW could enlighten us seeing as he is the Importer/reseller.
Gozdawa Imperial IPA

johnrm

Pepin The Short

That`s a shame .
It sounded about as basic a kit as you could get . So basic in fact ,that even a beginner like me should be able to get something drinkable out of it .Even if it isn't exactly what it`s claiming to be ,it should at least make a half decent brew ....You`d think .

Did I see other negative reviews of these kits on here before. Seem to remember a reading at least one other .
Otium cum dignitate

Drzava

I did a critical review of the Milky Stout (although there are negative reviews of other Gozdawa kits too). I eventually dumped most of mine too. As it happens, I had one of my few 'long term' bottles the other night. Still crap!

Pepin The Short

Quote from: Drzava on December 08, 2015, 01:24:37 PM
I did a critical review of the Milky Stout (although there are negative reviews of other Gozdawa kits too). I eventually dumped most of mine too. As it happens, I had one of my few 'long term' bottles the other night. Still crap!

Yeah man I think that`s the other one i seen .Was thinking it was a stout of some kind .
Something must be going badly wrong at the production or canning stage .You could forgive a company launching a kit and running into some issues ,if their other kits made decent brews .But when a wide range of their kits are all being called "muck" & "crap" in reviews.Then you have some major problems to sort out .
Otium cum dignitate