• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:28:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Stoneground strong white flour

Started by cruiscinlan, September 15, 2015, 09:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Eoin on November 19, 2015, 04:16:08 PM
I've been quite distracted recently with the death of a good friend, so I didn't feedback here yet.

I've only had a chance to do one loaf so far and all I can say is that this flour is very very tasty and does a really nice loaf.
I didn't do a sourdough, just normal fresh yeast and I'd highly recommend this flour, based on taste alone.
Even the smell of the cooked loaves is superior to the Polish stuff I've been using.

Well done on this one a chara.

Sorry for your loss Eoin. 

Not at all.  More than happy to do this, and Damien M was the real lynchpin of this handling the logistics for us.

Agreed on the smell, it is really aromatic even beyond the usual fresh bread smell.  I've had great results from sourdough and regular yeast breads with it.

CH I would also be interested in ordering this again when folks here are ready as I get through 16kg flour in about 6 weeks. 

Eoin

We did another one yesterday that had proved overnight in the fridge because it was so cold in the kitchen and didn't get done the evening before.

It really is far far superior, taste, crust, smell, everything.

Why don't you go for the 25kg bag cruiscinlan?
Do they do that size here at all?

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Eoin on November 24, 2015, 09:03:59 AM
We did another one yesterday that had proved overnight in the fridge because it was so cold in the kitchen and didn't get done the evening before.

Great, glad to hear that folk are finding the flour different/worthwhile.

The 25kg size is available for their conventional strong flour as well as  '00', T55, Rye, Organic Spelt and some others but not in the strong organic one we got. 

Although I am baking a fair bit at the minute I'd be slightly wary of getting the bigger size as there's little in the way of an additional cost saving and the 16kg would be a bit fresher as a result (whether that makes much of a dufference I don't know).

Damien M

Quote from: cruiscinlan on November 24, 2015, 01:32:20 PM

Great, glad to hear that folk are finding the flour different/worthwhile.

The 25kg size is available for their conventional strong flour as well as  '00', T55, Rye, Organic Spelt and some others but not in the strong organic one we got. 

Although I am baking a fair bit at the minute I'd be slightly wary of getting the bigger size as there's little in the way of an additional cost saving and the 16kg would be a bit fresher as a result (whether that makes much of a dufference I don't know).

Shipping and handling would be easier on the 16kg bags too!!!!  :-[

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Damien M on November 24, 2015, 02:44:01 PM

Shipping and handling would be easier on the 16kg bags too!!!!  :-[

Good point! 

Look forward to hearing from you all when ye want more flour.

Hop Bomb

Im not on here that much hence missing out on the last GB. So Im posting my interest for the next order now.

il take two bags of organic strong white flour in the next order.  Cheers.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Hop Bomb on November 25, 2015, 07:52:18 PM
Im not on here that much hence missing out on the last GB. So Im posting my interest for the next order now.

Grand job, what about Galway delivery though? If you're interested my brother is coming up to Dublin in December and could bring them down.  Anyone else out there?

johnrm

December 07, 2015, 12:48:52 AM #67 Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:13:10 AM by johnrm
Has anyone considered milling their own flour?
Seeing as we all have mills and such, it seems logical.
Is whole wheat available?

cruiscinlan

I've not heard of it myself here but have seen that its popular in the US.  That said its very hard to get whole grains here. 

Hop Bomb

Quote from: cruiscinlan on November 26, 2015, 11:53:39 PM
Quote from: Hop Bomb on November 25, 2015, 07:52:18 PM

Grand job, what about Galway delivery though? If you're interested my brother is coming up to Dublin in December and could bring them down.  Anyone else out there?

Let me know when the next order is going in. Id love a sack or two of Untreated Organic White Flour - No.4 (105 )
I can collect them from Dublin next time Im up. Due a visit in Jan. Cheers!
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

irish_goat

The brother has been looking for rye flour? Anyone seen it about?

rje66

Quote from: irish_goat on December 07, 2015, 05:53:24 PM
Try your local polish shop, I get mine there and they usually have have yeast too.
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Jacob

Quote from: rje66 on December 07, 2015, 08:23:15 PM
Quote from: irish_goat on December 07, 2015, 05:53:24 PM
Try your local polish shop, I get mine there and they usually have have yeast too.
Yeap, look for 'Mąka Żytnia'

irish_goat

cruiscinlan

You'll get a few types, a wholemeal one will be 'razowy', and one marked 'Chlebowa 720' will be strong white rye flour.

Zytnia=rye btw
Razowa=wholemeal
Chlebowa= for breadmaking