• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:22:56 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Supplier Help for newbie.

Started by Greg2013, December 27, 2012, 07:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

ok the one place i found in Waterford city is somewhere over the bridge and to the left? Not really a run and get kinda place for me. Anybody know of brewing suppliers nearer Dungarvan that supply beer kits and equipment etc? Tried online but postage is murder on a lot of those UK and USA sites plus the one site i got for here is outta the coopers kit for God knows how long. >:(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-33lt-fermenters-p-968.html

I was thinking of just getting one of these delivered asap and then go get whatever actual beer kit i want. What ye think of these?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

rukkus

December 27, 2012, 09:58:33 AM #2 Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:25:52 AM by rukkus
Both thehomebrewcompany and homebrewwest are very reliable and cheap on shipping. I wouldn't be up on the good kits, maybe try the kit section for some help on kits :)

The starter kit looks like it has all you will need to get started.

Greg2013

rukkus

Ah i saw coopers and thought you meant beer kit :) those kits from the homebrewcompany should do the job fine, all it seems to be missing compared to the coopers is bottles, a brewbelt and a dvd.

Just get your friends to drink lots of bottled beer and save the bottles ;)

Greg2013

rukkus that last one i linked is the Coopers all in one DIY kit with a belt and bottles ;D

Ciderhead

December 27, 2012, 02:24:03 PM #6 Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:14:05 PM by Ciderhead
In my opinion skip buying the coopers all in a box and go with HBW or HBC starter kits
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewsmarter-premium-starter-beer-kit-best-value-844-p.asp
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-33lt-fermenters-p-968.html
Why?
The coopers bucket will just be consigned to the corner of the shed after a few brews
The plastic bottles supplied are the same and we all end out progressing to glass and kegs in the end no matter what level you are at.
The HBC looks better value but you still need a kit.
If you are a lager drinker start off with a coopers canadian blonde. It's an ale but tastes close to a lager

3 things for new brewers

Sterilisation of everything, even the scissors you open yeast packet with!
Control of Fermentation temp try and stay within 17-21 not up to 27 as per coopers kit advice :(
Patience, time is the brewers friend, 1, 2, 3 rule, 1 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottles or the longer the better ;)

Greg2013

Ciderhead that HBC one looks great value but i would still need to get bottles correct?

Ciderhead

Yep, you have to buy swing tops or check in your local bar for spares which is what everybody does.
Other option is a capper, never bothered myself just have swing tops for what i cant get in my kegs or parties.

Greg2013

ciderhead you say the coopers bucket will just be thrown inthe corner but i don't see how the same thing would not happen ton the two you recommended. I mean one of them there is exactly the same setup as the coopers so what the difference? Thanks for the advice btw.

Ciderhead

December 28, 2012, 12:26:19 PM #10 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:39:22 PM by Ciderhead
Quoteciderhead you say the coopers bucket will just be thrown inthe corner but i don't see how the same thing would not happen ton the two you recommended. I mean one of them there is exactly the same setup as the coopers so what the difference? Thanks for the advice btw.

Coopers use a clever device called a krausen ring which sits on top of bucket, you take this off half way through the fermentation you can see it on craigtube or their own videos on youtube and you remove the crud from fermentation with the ring, the lid lifts as co2 is produced.
http://youtu.be/T1l1oCyCZKo
33 litre bucket (headroom for 25litre batches, smaller if you plan smaller brews)with bubbler is a better bet.
My coopers bucket currently has dogfood stored in it :(
Sent you a pm, happy to walk you through the entire process perhaps if you don't mind we can do this advice on this post for other newbies? I'm sure a lot got kits for Christmas. Please ask silly questions, I wish I had somewhere years ago to ask them :(
I would recommend if you are going for Canadian blonde or similar you also buy the recommended enhancer kit.
(I will tell you in 6 months time what it is no point in confusion at this stage)
Coopers carbonation drops are also paint by numbers solution for beginners and are tidier than tipping brewing sugar into bottles. On your 3rd or fourth brew we will get you into batch priming with brewing sugar or other fermentables.
Also newbies friend is a product called starsan and a cheap flower mister from woodies. This is a no rinse sanitiser killing the nasties that cause 50% of newbies off flavours. Again there are alternatives to this product but for simplicity it's the best solution to start with.

Greg2013

Ya i know about the krizen ring but what i am asking you is why is the coopers bucket so useless so? I mean even the ones you suggested are basically the same and for the same price i can't see the difference?

Ciderhead

QuoteYa i know about the krizen ring but what i am asking you is why is the coopers bucket so useless so? I mean even the ones you suggested are basically the same and for the same price i can't see the difference?

It's not sealable unlike buckets it's a floating co2 lid
Bubblers are a better way of tracking fermentation progress.

Greg2013

Ciderhead is that the reason you reckon that the other one is better that the coopers setup? :D

Greg2013

Ok well if i order the other one what would you suggest as a beer kit to get for first brew? Also can you use a bleach/vinegar solution to sanitize?