• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:37:20 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Supplier Help for newbie.

Started by Greg2013, December 27, 2012, 07:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

QuoteCiderhead is that the reason you reckon that the other one is better that the coopers setup? :D

Once you progress onto extract or all grain you will still use buckets with bubblers.
You won't find anybody with more than 4 or 5 brews under their belt using coopers buckets

Ciderhead

QuoteOk well if i order the other one what would you suggest as a beer kit to get for first brew? Also can you use a bleach/vinegar solution to sanitize?

Bleach vinegar is good but needs to be rinsed, be careful mixing, check out posts on this site about same.
starsan is a no rinse solution although I do drain but that's it.
It's expensive but it goes a really long way and is so much more convenient than bleach and vinegar and has no odour either.

Ciderhead

December 28, 2012, 03:59:16 PM #17 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:41:50 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteOk well if i order the other one what would you suggest as a beer kit to get for first brew?

Its down to personal taste beer preferance, what do you currently drink?

All of the coopers kits are solid
I have done only coopers as they are the biggest global sellers
Cervesa
Heritage Lager
Euro Lager
Australian Pale
Canadian Blonde

You can tell from that what I drink commercially!

My last kits before going all Grain were St Peters which was really goodl and especially their golden ale, but they are 2 can kits
As was my very last kit which was Muntons Midas Gold Ale but worth the extra few bob.

Greg2013

Well cider i am normally a Guiness man but am afraid a stout would be too difficult,or is there any difference really? I might try the canadian blonde it sounds nice, but would i need to get extra spray malt to use instead of sugar?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Another thing i was thinking, what about using empty 2lt bottles of say tesco fizzy water for the bottling? Is it possible to use bottles like that for finished product? Would be a cheap way around sourcing bottles. :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

https://store.coopers.com.au/shop/product/coopers-stout-refill-pack/

Is that the type of beer kit ya mean ciderhead? Would i need to get anything else to go with that for a brew? :D

Ciderhead

QuoteWell cider i am normally a Guiness man but am afraid a stout would be too difficult,or is there any difference really? I might try the canadian blonde it sounds nice, but would i need to get extra spray malt to use instead of sugar?

I have heard good things about their stout but never tried it, Guinness it aint.
For simplicity just buy the brew enhancer pack No 1,
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/coopers-brew-enhancer-1-1kg-p-964.html
If you like the first try a canadian blonde with kit no 2 which has better head retention and maltier.

From Coopers Website;
Brew Enhancer 1 (1kg) improves the body, mouthfeel and head retention of your favourite brew without altering the flavour. Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 contains dextrose and maltodextrin. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention. Recommended for use with your lighter style beers such as Lager, Draught and Pilsner.

Brew Enhancer 2 (1kg) improves the flavour, body, mouthfeel and head retention of your favourite brew. Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention. The Light Dry Malt, being 100% pale malt, will further add to the body and increase the malt character of your favourite brew. Great for use with any beer styles where a fuller, maltier flavour is preferred.

newToBrew

hey deadman, - i only ever brewed one kit - a muntons cider  - i started on extracts so dont know much @ the kits as such
but
ciderheads right @ the equipment - get one of the ones he linked - when u move up to extract or ag this stuff is still usable,

for bottles :

if you know of a local pub that sells grolsch by the bottle these bottles are non returnable - so  they just dump them afaik -
otherwise have a chat with a freindly bar man he may throw a few crates of emptys your way.
Or
get your mates to hold onto their empties - its the right time of year for that !!!

if you are buying extra sugar i'd prob get the dry malt extract before id get either lme or plain suger

1. dme would give you better flavour complexity (?) than the sugar
2.- if you dont use all of it in your first batch you could store it easier than the liquid version ( i guess,  never used lme myself)
3. dme is cheaper than lme as far as i remember ( hence why I never went for lme !!)

why do you think a stout kit would be more difficult than the others ?

when brewing all grain i find the stouts more forgiving in terms of chill haze and stuff like that, with light coloured ales in all grain - sometimes they can be hazy - its only a cosmetic thing really but the stouts are so dark u don't see it.
one thing to note though your bottled stout won't be the same as your poured pub pint - as thats done on nitrogen - think of the widget thingy in the guinness can

your hb brew would prob be more along the lines of a regular bottle of stout 

loads a stuff to consider - ask as many questions as you have - I did ! and still do !!

to make things easier just get a small bottle of star san - it lasts ages - worry @ the bleach/vinegar thing further down the line

get a few kits under your belt - find your routine and then enhance it in the direction you feel suits best

welcome aboard !!!!

coz theres always something new to do

newToBrew

December 28, 2012, 04:33:32 PM #23 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:35:35 PM by newToBrew
jaysus - im slow there's been @ 5 posts since I started this !!!

if ya know any bulmers drinkers - get teh one litre bottles from them - they're good
dunno @ the fizzy bottles in tescos - most peoples opinions on those knida things is that they not a good idea - oxegen permeable over time i think is the issue
coz theres always something new to do

Ciderhead

December 28, 2012, 04:33:46 PM #24 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:40:41 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteAnother thing i was thinking, what about using empty 2lt bottles of say tesco fizzy water for the bottling? Is it possible to use bottles like that for finished product? Would be a cheap way around sourcing bottles. :o

You can use these no problems but 2 litre sessions not great for longer than 2-3 month storage!
Check this guy out hes a savage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMRYpW_KqA
Watching him chug homebrew you can understand why he does 2litres  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpdzweBHPSA

Greg2013

LOL cider i subbed him yesterday,you would know looking at him that he drinks most of his brew himself ;D

Ciderhead

Quotehey deadman, - i only ever brewed one kit - a muntons ciderĀ  -

Muntons Autumn Blush is a cracker and its the only thing a non drinker friend of mine likes.
But i found all the Muntons have a high FG.

RichC

QuoteOk well if i order the other one what would you suggest as a beer kit to get for first brew? Also can you use a bleach/vinegar solution to sanitize?

Bleach vinegar is good but needs to be rinsed, be careful mixing, check out posts on this site about same.
starsan is a no rinse solution although I do drain but that's it.
It's expensive but it goes a really long way and is so much more convenient than bleach and vinegar and has no odour either.
Bleach/Vinegar is a no rinse sanitiser. Used it until recently myself without a problem. Saying that, I recently switched to starsan because it keeps indefinitely in the bottle if mixed with RO/DI water and the bleach/vinegar stuff doesnt

Greg2013

Thing about the bleach/vinegar mix is you nearly always have those two in the house so you never get caught out so to speak and if you do you can just run down to the local shop and get some.

Starsan may be better i don't know as i have never even seen it but since i already use a bleach/vinegar mix for the dog i may just stick with that ;D

BTW i don't feed the mix to the Ghost i use it to clean the floors,keeps away the doggy smell and is a great disinfectant :o

Greg2013

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-33lt-fermenters-p-968.html

Right i have decided to go with the above  but i need to order the beer kit from the same crowd. Want to get something with a low FG like around 3-3.5% ABV. Had a local bitter last night that was lovely at around 3.5%abv ;D