• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:59:53 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Supplier Help for newbie.

Started by Greg2013, December 27, 2012, 07:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

December 28, 2012, 08:08:12 PM #46 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:11:40 PM by Ciderhead
ok with you 33 litre starter kit you get

33 Litre Fermentation Vessel Takes airlock (Full Colour-Graduated)

33 Litre Fermentation Vessel

Bottle Filling Stick

Thermometer Spirit 12"

Bubbler, Plastic with Red Cap

Bung Bored

Hydrometer plus sampling tube

Bottle Brush

Simple Syphon

Beer Paddle/ Spoon Plastic 16"(Y)

Twin Lever Capper

Crown Caps (100)

1 Tub of Steriliser 

Extras
Consider one of these, it confirms temperature of your chilled wort before adding yeast and also allows you to monitor temperature during fermentation
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/large-self-adhesive-liquid-crystal-thermometer-10-to-40-oc-p-500.html

Coopers carbonation drops, 1 per 500ml bottle, 2 if you want fizzy stout ;D
Starsan we already mentioned, a cheap mister from woodies
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/star-san-sanitiser-8-oz-p-1426.html

Another tip I would give you if look at vids on youtube for brewers doing kits, much easier and cheaper to look at other peoples mistakes

Can anybody tell me if i forgot anything?

Greg2013

So ciderhead my three things there plus that long list you just mentioned is everything covered? Sorry for all the silly questions. Thats a big no to fizzy stout,i take it that the carbonation drops are instead of adding sugar when bottling?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

As regards the actual bottles what would you recommend.If i order that stuff tonight and i get it in ten days say,then do i just order coopers plastic bottles with it or try to get Guiness empties from the pub and cap em?

rukkus

I'd do both, good to have bottles when you need them and save on shipping and also good to be ready for the 2nd brew when that comes around

Ciderhead

QuoteSo ciderhead my three things there plus that long list you just mentioned is everything covered? Sorry for all the silly questions. Thats a big no to fizzy stout,i take it that the carbonation drops are instead of adding sugar when bottling?

Carbonation drops are just like boiled sweets (sugar) they are easier to pop in the bottle than try to weigh 5 grammes or level teaspoon etc.
When you have a few brews under your belt we will talk you through bulk priming which is where you mix sterilised sugared water into your beer before bottling.
Please don't consider this for your first brew just focus on getting familiar with the basics of doing the kits and fermentation.

Ciderhead

December 28, 2012, 08:53:29 PM #52 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:55:21 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteAs regards the actual bottles what would you recommend.If i order that stuff tonight and i get it in ten days say,then do i just order coopers plastic bottles with it or try to get Guiness empties from the pub and cap em?

Rukkus is right you can never have enough bottles, 100 spares the last time I checked and i use kegs!! Its all about having a rolling supply of beer
Your brew wont be ready for bottling before 21 days earliest, so it'll be end of jan before you consider bottling. And really Paddys day before you start to drink. :o
there is one upside to the plastic bottles, you can squeeze them to determine how well your carbonation is going if they are hard, good to go!.

RichC

QuoteIf you like stout something like http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/coopers-brewmaster-irish-stout-17kg-p-814.html might be a good start.

The brewferm kits are also very good quality.

Ruckus is right go for it and let us know how you get on, I'll let Lars taste first if you are sanitising using the dog bleach ;)
Charlie Talley wouldn't lie and I'd be glad to taste if you drop it round to me:)

Greg2013

Depends on where you are Lars,might use you as my guinea pig allright ;D