• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 07, 2024, 08:20:29 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kev G

Started by Kev G, January 17, 2013, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev G

Hi all.
Just saying hello.  I'm Kev, living in Wexford - homebrewer, I did kits donkey years ago but mainly country wine (elderflower, hedgerow fruit, rhubard etc) for the last 15 years or so.  Started back brewing beer last year and really enjoying it.
Very happy to have found this forum and looking forward to learning more.

Ciderhead

January 17, 2013, 10:16:07 PM #1 Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:17:21 PM by Ciderhead
Hi Kev,
Welcome on board
Quite a few here from Wexford we are all about trying to brew with weird stuff, deadman with his Ribena last night :o.
Will also brews with mad ingredients(do take that as a complliment Will ;))
Look forward to your ideas on elderflower and rhubarb.

Will_D

Hi kev,
You're very welcome.

yes I do a bit of brewing check out my VintagePortQuickly thread here:

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=CPW

Most of the things I grow in the garden end up being fermented!

Also do some OK all grain beers etc.

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Churchman

QuoteHi all.
Just saying hello.  I'm Kev, living in Wexford - homebrewer, I did kits donkey years ago but mainly country wine (elderflower, hedgerow fruit, rhubard etc) for the last 15 years or so.  Started back brewing beer last year and really enjoying it.
Very happy to have found this forum and looking forward to learning more.
I would be curious Kev about the Rhubarb as i have some growing out the back. Do you just mix it in with other fruits or on its own  :-/

rukkus

Hi Kev

Welcome aboard, i'm also in wexford.

Kev G

Thanks for the welcome Lads.

Paddy, Rhubarb wine is the easiest wine to do, economical if you have the rhubarb and the results are well worth the effort.

Try to use younger sticks as the older sticks tend to be far too high in acid.(but we have made it with older sticks).

The recipe for 1 gallon:
3lb (1.5kg) rhubarb
3lb (1.5kg) sugar
Yeast

Cut the rhubarb into pieces about 2 inches or (5cm) in length (do not peel) and place into a bucket with 6 pints (3 litres) of boiling water, cover with a lid.
When cool add the sugar and yeast, stir and leave in the bucket for two weeks at 21°C, then transfer to a demi-john, top up, fit an air lock and ferment to dryness.

The sugar normally ferments right out (finishing gravity below 1.000) and can taste abit harsh when you bottle it but wait 6 months and it mellows out – well worth the wait.  It's a staple of ours and we do at least a couple of galleons every year.

Rukkus, pleased to know there are some Wexford home-brewers about.

Churchman

Thanks Kev i will give it a bash in the summer  :)