• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 08:18:08 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP Judge Qualification COurse

Started by Padraic, March 05, 2013, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

1. Padraic ( Has a head start  ;) )
2. Johnrm
3. Tom
4. Dodge
5. Matthewdick23
6. brenmurph
7. Will_D
8. Andrew
Andrew
@beoirfinder

brenmurph

Ill second that Tube. WE need more meets, brew days, club level tasting and testing and keep the passion alive and thriving.

Padraic

Welcome to the Forum Andrew!

I'm thinking one saturday a month to run through the BJCP recommended format? (A Saturday because it makes it easier for people to travel as we will probably be geographically distant)

Most of the stuff, notes can be done online but the tasting and a bit of a get together to explain parts of the notes would be helpful, I think!

I can contact the BJCP to see if we can hold a tasting exam, the main issue with this is they are booked out until the middle of next year. I might bully them a little seeing as we would be providing a new market to them. So that we might have some qualified judges by the 2014 championships!

I think it would be great if we could also get some homebrewed examples for each of the sessions. Maybe we could run some mini competitions with judging being done as part of our study course?

Lots of idea's rolling around my head right now!

Thanks Bren for the offer of your studio, hopefully the geographic location of the future judges will make it a good option. If not I'll try to get us a location in Dublin City Centre.

alikocho

March 06, 2013, 04:33:20 PM #18 Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:44:48 PM by alikocho
If it helps you guys with pulling it together, I can give you all of my materials, and my syllabus for the two courses I've run in the UK. I can also give you access to recorded online sessions run by me, meaning you get to hear the talks given by me. As to the sessions - there's a technical side to be covered and then styles. It's best to use commercial examples (those listed in the guidelines), as these are in fact where the guidelines drew their basis for description.

You'll need to get a date booked (anyone can run an exam, but the admin can't take it as well), and then there are funds to potentially help cover the costs of getting proctors to your exam (you need two proctors, who should be national ranked or higher).

And I can see if I can't lean on the BJCP as the coordinator for the UK.

---------

The exam process is as follows:

1. The online exam. Costs USD 10, and you get an hour to go through the questions. Result is pass/fail. If you pass you become a Provisional Judge, and have a year to take a tasting exam. You can retake the exam once per day for USD a time.

2. The tasting exam. 6 beers in two hours with no reference to the style guidelines or other material. Your comments are then marked, with comparison to the comments from the two exam proctors. The pass mark is 60. The fee is USD 50.

If you score 60-69, you are ranked as Recognized.
If you score 70+ you will be ranked as Certified once you have acquired 5 points (you acquire points from judging, stewarding, organizing etc.)
If you score 80+ you become eligible to take the written exam after acquiring 10 judging points in order to progress to National rank or higher.

alikocho

QuoteThat's brilliant Ali, thanks for your kind offers.

If you score 70+ you will be ranked as Certified once you have acquired 5 points (you acquire points from judging, stewarding, organizing etc.)

Can these be retrospectively applied? i.e. our competition was Sanctioned, so can the lads that worked it claim points in the future?

Yes, they can. And they'll be assigned the points now, but they'll live in the ether. Once you take the tasting exam, the BJCP gives you a judge number, and you can access your record online. Things that happened before you get this number get matched up.

Stitch

Put me down on this for sure. :)

1. Padraic ( Has a head start  ;) )
2. Johnrm
3. Tom
4. Dodge
5. Matthewdick23
6. brenmurph
7. Will_D
8. Andrew
9. Stitch

Padraic

Any others interested in this? I have to figure out how best to do it! I'll get in touch with Ali and take him up on his very kind offers!

When should we get started and would one saturday afternoon a month suit people?

CARA

1. Padraic ( Has a head start   )
2. Johnrm
3. Tom
4. Dodge
5. Matthewdick23
6. brenmurph
7. Will_D
8. Andrew
9. Stitch
10. Declan (CARA)

Saturday afternoons sound perfect to me anyway!
Upa Sesh

Stitch

QuoteAny others interested in this? I have to figure out how best to do it! I'll get in touch with Ali and take him up on his very kind offers!

When should we get started and would one saturday afternoon a month suit people?

Perfect. Can;t think of better way to spend a Saturday afternoon ;)

brenmurph

Padraic

1. Padraic [Saturday is fine]
2. Johnrm
3. Tom
4. Dodge
5. Matthewdick23
6. brenmurph [Saturday is fine]
7. Will_D
8. Andrew
9. Stitch [Saturday is fine]
10. Declan (CARA) [Saturday is fine]

matthewdick23

Padraic

That's yet to be decided, but Dublin is the obvious choice, we could run it from say 12:00 - 16:00 or something like that so people can get public transport to and from Dublin.

I'd hope that we can get all of the info up online as well for those unable to attend some of the sessions!

Tom

Yeah, I could do a saturday a month. How many saturdays / months?

Padraic

I think 10 classes is the standard as far as i know, so at one saturday a month that'd be 10 months, 2 saturdays would cut it down to 5 months!

Not sure what suits you all best, it might take 10 months for us to get an exam date from the BJCP...