• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:49:42 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What professional courses are available ?

Started by LASERBOY147, March 15, 2016, 08:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASERBOY147

Hi I've trawled the Internet for professional brewing courses. The more I read the less I understand!!!
Can someone who has professional brewing e prince tell me what is absolutely required to become a lis censer brewer & what other relevant courses also exist.  I looked up taste and their breakdown of the course is no longer available.  Maybe they're updating ? They've a course supposedly starting 11th April but no details. Thanks all for your help and advice

Pheeel

I wouldn't waste your money. What brewing books have you read? You'll learn more with practise. Also join a club if you haven't already
Issues with your membership? PM me!

LASERBOY147

I'm part of the Midlands brewers I've read how to brew and jill classic styles. I don't want to become a brewer as a profession as such but I have a suitable premises  for an upscaled version of my 5 gal set up and I think in the not too distant future we'll  start seeing nano brewing for 1 or 2 pubs . So I'm interested in this possibility as an additional income possibility or even to just keep brewing as my hobby but in some way expand on the hobby

LASERBOY147

Gotta love auto txt !!! Jil! I'd love to do the bjcp courses and learn about style and flaws but it's up in dublin which is too difficult to  commit to. I wonder has it ever been run in the midlands?  Prob not

Sorcerers Apprentice

March 20, 2016, 10:03:30 AM #4 Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:42:33 PM by johnrm
I have to disagree with Pheeel, I had the misfortune of going to the RDS Craft Beer Festival three years ago and was poisoned by one of the exibitors.
I haven't seen any focus on Duty Of Care in any homebrew literature. There's a whole world of necessary laboratory work which in my opinion is generally ignored by the craft beer movement.
Tim O Rourke's Brilliant Beer website http://www.brilliantbeer-college.com/ might be a starting place. The Institute of Brewers and Distillers are the main professional educational authority in the British Isles https://www.ibd.org.uk/

[EDIT: Tim!]
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others