• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:14:03 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

brew advice!!

Started by CC, May 30, 2016, 05:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

hi guys,

well reading through the threads there makes me really sorry i missed the last couple of meets- sounds like continued high standards all round.

quick couple of questions....
i'm brewing tomorrow with US-05 having not done so before. its an american pale and i couldn't get my mitts on any liquid californian yeast so i said i'd give it a whirl.
i plan on having 25l heading into the fermentor at 1.055... according to most pitch rate calculators i'm well shy with just one pack of yeast. but according to fermentis i'm grand to just pitch 1 pack??

so 1) should i pitch 1 pack or 2 packs??

second question is what temp does this fella like best for a low yeast flavour profile??

molc

2 packs I'd say, your pushing it on 1. I ferment wlp001 at 20, not sure if the dry is the same for that yeast.

Also check out Shannas invite for our joint brewery next Sunday. Could be a fun way of answering some questions :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

CC

thanks molc... yep i will ck with significant other re plans for bank hol but i think i should be good for sunday!!

Lurchalicious

2 should be more than enough.  I like to use mr. malty  http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Shanna

Tip from the brewcon was to make sure to hydrate the yeast before pitching.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

oblivious

One pack probably hydrate is supposed be grand for 1.065 OG/ 20L , so you should be good to go

stevosan

Safale-05 is my go-to yeast and almost never fails.
I use one pack for beers around 6.5% or less, anything more like double IPA go with 2 packs or step up the yeast