• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 08:39:39 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital Brewer's Indian Summer Beer Competition

Started by Hingo, June 11, 2016, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASERBOY147

Sooo .... just to clarify if I made elvis juice what cat (judge/organiser only pls) thanks.

Hingo

Quote from: LASERBOY147 on July 03, 2016, 06:57:18 PM
Sooo .... just to clarify if I made elvis juice what cat (judge/organiser only pls) thanks.

Quote from: Hingo on June 17, 2016, 06:22:28 PM

Key requirement is it has the balance and overall impression of an IPA. After that it's up to the entrant to use their own diligence to judge if their beer meets this requirement.

I'd recommend that you review the category guidelines for the ones we're accepting and see where

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

IMO, If I was entering in elvis juice exactly how it's tastes/smells etc, commercially , I'd go with 21B, but that's me knowing it's made with fruit. I'd say it would get away in 21A too, again from my perspective based on the commercial brew.

Pheeel

I'd say 21B is safer. I can't see it doing well in 21A at all
Issues with your membership? PM me!

SlugTrap

21B 

Guidelines say: " Entrant must specify specific type of Specialty IPA from the library of known types listed in the Style
Guidelines... or the entrant must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to expect"

So say that it's a Grapefruit IPA, but make sure the grapefruit comes through.
Same for Brett IPA - keep in mind, though, if the judges can't taste the hops, it will score low, even it it's better than Orval.

Incidentally, guidelines also say: "Entrants may use this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American... "
If you were wondering where/if to enter Session IPAs, there's your answer.

Roo

Just adding my comment cos I'm interested in this. Hoping a few are coming from the Belfast lads so we have a pick up.
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

BrewDorg

Is there any scope for posting the bottles to the drop off point? I'm in Kilkenny but I'd like to enter this.

Hingo

Quote from: BrewDorg on July 06, 2016, 02:38:21 PM
Is there any scope for posting the bottles to the drop off point? I'm in Kilkenny but I'd like to enter this.
Working on that at the mo, watch this space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honkytonk52

Yeah if there was a drop off in Carlow/Kilkenny area that would be great

Hingo

Quote from: honkytonk52 on July 06, 2016, 08:51:23 PM
Yeah if there was a drop off in Carlow/Kilkenny area that would be great
Leave it with me, My folks / sister live down there so I'm down regular enough myself. if there's a handful of bottles to collect I could ask some place to act as drop off and I could pick them on on a day.

I'll be in touch with local club reps soon to see how their clubs are fixed and if anyone wants to come up on the day.

Quote from: Roo on July 05, 2016, 11:02:06 PM
Just adding my comment cos I'm interested in this. Hoping a few are coming from the Belfast lads so we have a pick up.

Cheers man, have you many Judges or guys interested in Stewarding? PM me perhaps.

irish_goat

Stick me down for stewarding. RDS Beer festival is on that day so I'll probably head out there after.

Enno

Just want to clarify, I plan on entering a New England IPA, going to be very cloudy. Should I enter it under 21A or 21B? I feel it would fair better in 21A as if it where in 21B the only thing that would make it different for this category is aesthetics?

Pheeel

21B. 21A states "should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy" so that doesn't match a cloudy IPA
Issues with your membership? PM me!

molc

New England ipa are covered under speciality, which was added to the new styleguides to be a catchall for whatever wacky ipa comes along next. As a result, the definition for ipa is quite strict and you'll get marked down if you don't match it exactly.
New England Ipa should be in 21B, no question. When the judges pour pea soup, they'll know what's going on ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Motorbikeman

What is the procedure for entering a beer comp.  Is there an entry form or something? 

phoenix

Entry is via the competition website details of which will be announced in the next few days.
Ciaran