• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:55 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewing with blackberries

Started by davebhoy1975, August 26, 2016, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davebhoy1975

Has any one tried using blackberries in a brew? I'm think a half kilo in my winter warmer might be a nice addition ?

irish_goat

Haven't tried it myself but I've had a blackberry porter in spoons and it was tasty enough. You picking them fresh?

davebhoy1975

Yes. I have one mile of a drive way and it's covered in blackberries. Gonna be a great harvest.
I'm thinking I'll freeze them in Chinese take away containers and use them as I need them.

davebhoy1975

ive tried Guinness with black current mi wadi years ago. I'm guessing it would be something similar. Might give that a try also. My main brews are stout and ale so I have the ingredient already. :)

I really wanna do something a little bit Christmassy though and leave it until the festive season

irish_goat

Dogfish do a Belgian Golden with blackberries and blueberries too. http://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/black-blue

DEMPSEY

Not quite so I am afraid.  The miwadi will do what it's told but the fresh berries will not bring their starting tastes to the finish if you just bung them in. I remember following a brewer on JBK awhile back and he posted his brew day and procedures with lots of pictures. It look awesome but if you follow the thread months later to when he was to drink them, not so awesome. Sent him a pm and he said that he could only drink 1 bottle a year ???. Find a good recipe and ask how it finished in the end. ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

helmet

Wee County did a split batch last year, we all took a fermenter-worth of pale ale away with us and everyone did something different with it, different yeasts/hops/additions etc. I had a pile of blackberries growing beside the house, so added some. It wound up tasting like calpol, not great!

davebhoy1975

I might just try it all the same. I'm thinking orange peel cinnamon cloves brown sugar and blackberries. Just a little of each might make a big difference.

What's the worst that can happen  :P

nigel_c

Expect the beer to become tart so adjust your recipe accordingly. Mash on the high side to leave some sweetness to help balance it out.
Rack onto the frozen berries and leave them a few weeks. Rack again to allow any sugars that may be still in the beer to ferment out after another week. Bottle or keg then.

Shanna

Quote from: davebhoy1975 on August 26, 2016, 10:25:38 AM
Yes. I have one mile of a drive way and it's covered in blackberries. Gonna be a great harvest.
I'm thinking I'll freeze them in Chinese take away containers and use them as I need them.
If there is frequent car traffic on the road I would not use them as the will absorb a lot if airborne crap from the exhaust fumes.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

DEMPSEY

T'is Kerry boi, sure don't ye know the air in kerry is pure clane and soft  ;D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Taf

Not sure if you make Cider at all, but have had very good results with Blackberries, Elderberries and slows. As mentioned above, there will be no sweetness, but a tart fruity flavour, which I like.

Leann ull

Quote from: Shanna on August 26, 2016, 01:28:22 PM

If there is frequent car traffic on the road I would not use them as the will absorb a lot if airborne crap from the exhaust fumes.

Shanna

and slugs after rain

Will_D

Blackberry wine is delicious as is Blackberry Port
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

googoomuck

Quote from: Will_D on August 26, 2016, 08:02:00 PM
Blackberry wine is delicious as is Blackberry Port
Port eh?! Recipe or link? (Pretty please). Made blackberry wine two years ago, added staranise. Twas a smashing sup, went down well with dessert last Christmas.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk