• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 16, 2024, 09:35:34 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hefeweizen, to keg or not to keg

Started by cunnol, January 30, 2017, 08:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cunnol

I have a hefe in the fermenter just over a week. Cleaned a keg in preparation for carbing it next weekend and decided to have half a glass to see how it was coming along. Plenty of yeast in it obviously and it's tasting great. Made me think kegging it could ruin it, much harder to control the amount of yeast per glass that way. Am I right in thinking bottling a hefeweizen will lead to a better beer in the glass?

DEMPSEY

Yes I would say for this style of beer. Not my cup of Tae but I remember someone complaining that they had kegged this type of beer before and after a couple of pints it was clear in the pour ;). P.S. I only drink coffee :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

irish_goat

You can get hefeweizen on draught and it's usually cloudy. I do remember pints of Friar Weisse always being inconsistent though, sometimes cloudy and then sometimes clear. I guess you could shake the keg a little every so often to rouse the yeast up.

darren996

Is it the yeast or the wheat that gives a heffe its cloudy appearance?

irish_goat

Quote from: darren996 on January 30, 2017, 11:59:25 AM
Is it the yeast or the wheat that gives a heffe its cloudy appearance?

Mainly the yeast, there is filtered version of hefeweizen called "kristall" that's not cloudy at all.

Eoin

In Germany, weizen is traditionally a bottle conditioned beer, I even heard that it was always bottle conditioned and then sometimes transferred to kegs afterwards.

In any case, it's not normally a kegged beer in it's natural habitat.

irish_goat

Quote from: Eoin on January 30, 2017, 01:06:23 PM
In Germany, weizen is traditionally a bottle conditioned beer, I even heard that it was always bottle conditioned and then sometimes transferred to kegs afterwards.

In any case, it's not normally a kegged beer in it's natural habitat.

Yeah true, even in the Schneider Weisse pub in Munich the vast majority of their range is served from the bottle.