• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:42:07 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

have you had or made this

Started by ipa-drinker, January 06, 2017, 09:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipa-drinker

Never look down on people only when you are helping them up

DEMPSEY

Allegedly I may have made this in another life ;),it is illegal because the politicians don't get their bit >:(. Truth is it's awful,rough as a badgers arse. :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

BrewDorg

Is it only the distillation that makes it illegal? That recipe just looks like it would be ok (in a legal sense, not taste!!).

irish_goat

Yeah it's only distillation that's illegal. That recipe would technically not be poitin but more of a "potato wine".

cruiscinlan

Quote from: BrewDorg on January 06, 2017, 10:10:06 AM
Is it only the distillation that makes it illegal? That recipe just looks like it would be ok (in a legal sense, not taste!!).

Ah here, that recipe is about as traditional Irish as a panini.

Distillation is illegal alright and any mention of potatoes (no idea where this originates other than association), abv of over 60%, or molasses is also bunkum. 

Poitín was made the same way as whiskey with a mash of barley (malt and unmalted), as well as oats, wheat or rye at times.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Qs on January 06, 2017, 01:00:07 PM
http://www.glendaloughdistillery.com/poitin-the-original-irish-spirit

They make it legally these days

Course its legal because the duty and VAT is paid.  What made poitín illegal was that there was no excise duty etc. being paid on it.

DEMPSEY

They did use spuds too. A panini and a raisin poteen shur was that not what they made in Kerry bhoy :D :D

irish_goat

Few crowds are making it, Blacks in Kinsale, Glendalough, Hunch in Derry. I can't see it taking on in any serious fashion though, it's not really a great drink.

Qs

Get it into a trendy cocktail and the ladies will go wild for it.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: DEMPSEY on January 06, 2017, 01:05:31 PM
They did use spuds too. A panini and a raisin poteen shur was that not what they made in Kerry bhoy :D :D

There's no diastatic power in potatoes so unless they'd access to enzymes I don't see how you'd produce sugar from them.  That's aside from it being extremely unpleasant in taste.

DEMPSEY

I can see the bottle label now, a young buck of a lad with no shirt on and wearing dungaree's and wellies. The wimmen will go wild for it :D

Qs

Quote from: cruiscinlan on January 06, 2017, 01:15:34 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on January 06, 2017, 01:05:31 PM

There's no diastatic power in potatoes so unless they'd access to enzymes I don't see how you'd produce sugar from them.  That's aside from it being extremely unpleasant in taste.

They use potatoes for vodka too.

LordEoin

January 06, 2017, 05:22:21 PM #13 Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:29:39 PM by LordEoin
Quote from: cruiscinlan on January 06, 2017, 12:57:13 PM
Quote from: BrewDorg on January 06, 2017, 10:10:06 AM
Distillation is illegal alright and any mention of potatoes (no idea where this originates other than association), abv of over 60%, or molasses is also bunkum. 
There's plenty over 60%. it depends on how much it has been cut back afterwards.
I've heard old fellas talking about molasses being pretty common practice once upon a time.
There is some rough stuff out there, but some good stuff too.
I like the taste. Good poitin is like white tequila or mezcal.
There are plenty of commercial poitin's out there now, but it's debatable whether someof them are even poitin's or now whiskeys due to barrelling etc: http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=poitin
The OP recipe sounds like it'll make pure crap potato wine.

nigel_c

Have heard of beetroot being used as well.