• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 11:46:50 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championships 2019

Started by mick02, April 10, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanstalk

I was thinking the same about an oatmeal stout with added coffee. You can definitely get the coffee, but its not a 'ooh this might fool the judges into thinking it came from roasted grains' kind of coffee taste. it is delicious though IMHO

redshift

Quote from: Pheeel on January 15, 2019, 01:08:19 PM
My personal opinion. I think there's a difference between blending a beer and a non beer versus aging in a barrel which a non beer was originally in (or even staves, cubes etc). I don't think a beer with added Whiskey is the same as aging it in a whiskey barrel (cubes etc)

Besides you shouldn't mix the grape with the grain ;)

I don't really think it's different from adding other flavours like fruit for example other than the fact that fruit beer is an existing style, but isn't that what the expirimental category is for?
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink...

Pheeel

Not sure I agree. For fruit beer the fruit will ferment
Issues with your membership? PM me!

redshift

Quote from: Pheeel on January 16, 2019, 07:01:21 PM
Not sure I agree. For fruit beer the fruit will ferment
Fermented fruit sounds a lot like wine to me.
But rather than debating the technicalities, I'm I going to be able to enter this?
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink...

delzep

Hi, I'm having trouble printing out my labels. I've paid and have the green tick beside each beer to conform this, but the Print Bottle Labels button isn't working

mick02

Quote from: delzep on February 27, 2019, 11:43:48 AM
Hi, I'm having trouble printing out my labels. I've paid and have the green tick beside each beer to conform this, but the Print Bottle Labels button isn't working
It's working fine for me here. Perhaps a browser Ad Blocker or similar is causing the problem?
NHC Committee member

delzep

No, I can't click on the button. When I hover over the button, the cursor changes to a red circle with a red line through it

mick02

Quote from: delzep on February 27, 2019, 12:21:19 PM
No, I can't click on the button. When I hover over the button, the cursor changes to a red circle with a red line through it
Have you fully paid for all your entries? Can you post a screenshot of the full browser window please?
NHC Committee member

molc

You need to tick the beers first and then the print labels button activates. Looks like a multi select jobbie.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

delzep

Quote from: molc on February 27, 2019, 12:24:28 PM
You need to tick the beers first and then the print labels button activates. Looks like a multi select jobbie.

That worked, thanks. Not the most obvious thing

SlugTrap

Results.

Thanks to brewers, judges + organizers for a brilliant day.

mick02

OK folks, score sheets are now available on the competition site. Please note that the results on the front page of the comp site are not the results as they were grouped for the competition. The software we use for hosting the comp website is good but it has certain limitations. If you want to see the scores per category please check the Google Docs link that Rich posted earlier.

If anyone has any questions or there are issues with the score sheets (from a technical standpoint not from a judging stand point!) please let me know.
NHC Committee member

Dr Brown Ale

thanks Mick, amazing to get them published the monday after the competition, really appreciate that.

Delighted with my scoresheets (no medals!), good detail and good feedback on both my beers, judges liked both and said as much, but they were in the wrong category, and that's on me.

Thanks to the judges, organisers and all involved in a very, very successful nationals.

molc

March 26, 2019, 08:54:20 AM #118 Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:19:11 AM by molc
Trojan work as always Mick - thank for all the hard work.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

mick02

No worries folks, everyone does their bit in the club. Hope there are no issues with the scoresheet uploads. Let me know if you run into issues.
NHC Committee member