• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:18 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Seasonal Wine, April - Dandelion

Started by LordEoin, April 24, 2013, 02:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

I'm seeing seas of dandelions appearing everywhere again.
Come on garden, do your stuff!  ;D

DEMPSEY

Just reread your posts on this and I think I might just have a go at this this year :). I had to use a knife yesterday to root 40 or 50 Dandelion plants in the front garden to prevent them regrowing but since my neighbour is useless at maintaining his own garden I am losing the war :(. Are you happy with what you did last year and would you change anything. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Chris

I did this last year also but didn't use raisins used 2 litres if lidl grape juice it turned out fantastic. Used champagne yeast and made half of it sparkling. Have 2 bottles left. Also did a gorse and dandelion version.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

LordEoin

I'm happy with it the way it is, but little tweaks like chris mentions will get it to our own taste  ;)

Blueshed

plan on brewing this over the next few days plenty of them about atm.

googoomuck

@Lord Eoin, when did you top up the Demi John? Or did you leave it at 4 litres?

LordEoin

once the fermentation has slowed a little and there's only a light head of bubbles

googoomuck

Planning on racking this and my gorse wine tomorrow, when I rack into the new demi is it ok to use a solid bung instead of a drilled one with an airlock to let it clear?

Will_D

At this stage yes no problem I would say.

For wine storage I prefer corks to rubber as sometimes the red rubber sticks to the neck and gets a bit smelly 9of rubber)!

Of course silicon bungs are available! No experience with the grey rubber ones tho'

Just steep the corks in hot campden tab solution for 5 mins (weighthm down tho'  ;) )
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

That's something I must get to also, but my dandelion is not clearing at all.
make sure to boil a kettle in advance and let it cool, then top up to avoid headspace.
The less headspace  and surface area the better

Blueshed

might give this another go tomorrow, bit later in the year than i planned. At Vantastival i gave the lads from the Wee county 3 different btls of hedge grow wine.

think this one was the poorest of the 3 but i had a brain fart and added some green cardamon pods instead of the ginger.

going to stick to LE recipe this time.

danger_zone

^ darn tasty wines at that. It went down very well with the other festival-goers
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

LordEoin

So many danedlions this year.
Time for another batch!