Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions hereNot a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord
Started by Water_Wolf, July 31, 2018, 11:01:59 PM
Quote from: Kevco5 on August 01, 2018, 03:02:53 PMI'm on second year with a prima Donna planted in the ground. Last year I didn't get a single flower, and nothing yet this year!
Quote from: Water_Wolf on October 30, 2018, 04:23:45 PMI compared them to some commercial hop pellets that I knew the alpha acid levels for. I weighed some hop flowers and put them in a cup of boiling water and then did the same with the hop pellets. Then I just compared them by taste and tried to see how many hop flowers were need to match the pellets.I decided that my hop flowers were pretty low in alpha acids so I reduced the size of my boil to increase the hop concentration. I think I used roughly 450g of flowers at the end of the boil and froze and vacuum packed the remaining 330g and used them for dry hopping a week later.If I were to do it again I would have added in some hops at the start of the boil as it has an interesting hop flavour but could do with more bitterness.All in all I was pleased with how it turned out - it's not a particularly dazzling beer, the hop flavour is quite subtle, but it is interesting and quite drinkable!