• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:07 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hop Whirlpool Additions - Preferences

Started by Paul86, August 07, 2019, 11:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul86

Hi Everyone,

I have read a few articles on Flame out Additions, Whirlpool Hop Additions, Hop Stands ect relating mostly to IPA/APA/DIPA/NEIPA style hoppy beers. It seems that anywhere from 99C - 61C seems to be valid for flavour/aroma extraction but there must be some degree of separation between the hop profiles in these temps.

What have you guys found to be a successful process?? , how long do you hold/Steep for?? do you hold that temp constant or allow the wort to cool further and do you add multiple or just one hop addition.

For my next brew I was thinking initial bittering charge (~30IBU) hops followed by a single whirlpool addition (100-150g) @75C (Constant) for 40 mins, chill, pitch and some dry hopping down the line.

mick02

Quote from: Paul86 on August 07, 2019, 11:11:40 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have read a few articles on Flame out Additions, Whirlpool Hop Additions, Hop Stands ect relating mostly to IPA/APA/DIPA/NEIPA style hoppy beers. It seems that anywhere from 99C - 61C seems to be valid for flavour/aroma extraction but there must be some degree of separation between the hop profiles in these temps.

What have you guys found to be a successful process?? , how long do you hold/Steep for?? do you hold that temp constant or allow the wort to cool further and do you add multiple or just one hop addition.

For my next brew I was thinking initial bittering charge (~30IBU) hops followed by a single whirlpool addition (100-150g) @75C (Constant) for 40 mins, chill, pitch and some dry hopping down the line.
Hey Paul,

I generally just fire the hops in at flameout and give them a right stir. I usually start to transfer to the fermenter almost immediately as it can take 20 - 30 minutes to get to the fermenter and I don't want the hops sitting in the boiling wort that long.

That's my method, your mileage may vary!

Good luck.

Mick
NHC Committee member

Slev

The brulosophy folks have done some experiments around this. Can make for interesting reading/listening. But you may/may not agree with their methods/findings. Personally ive had varying results. I've reverted back to more traditional timings, but have put more thought and effort into dry hopping for greater effect. (I've  bottled samples taken before dry hopping of tge batch to compare. Its an interesting thing to do!). But probably the reason ive gone away from the whirlpool is that it adds time to the brewday and i couldn't say that it gave me a distantly different/more satisfying result for what i was after.
Just my 2p worth, but as mick says, your milage may vary.

irish_goat

I was reading Brulosophy the other day and they noted a better hop character is acheived by having mid-boil additions rather than a single 60min addition and I think I would agree with them.

delzep

I've recently started adding a good chunk of hops at 20 mins before the end of the boil with good results. Much hoppier flavour from ipas

TheSumOfAllBeers

You are going to get better agitation during the boil than the whirlpool or the flameout which may account for the improved flavour.

Qs

I chill to around 75-80C and then steep/whirlpool for around 20-25 minutes. I've tried loads of variations and I like that best in my system. The main thing is that you keep it consistent and don't change up the routine or you'll never dial in the bitterness.

Partridge9

I do my final addition at 86c and it drops to around 82c in 10-15 mins.
I havent noticed any major bitterness but I have dropped my 60 min addition so it all balances..

Typically for pale ales i do 3 hop additions

10 min - 100g
86c - 100g (10-15mins)
Dry hop 100g

I would add - my hop loss is 4.5 litres... which is a big price to pay...

So I have to brew finishing up around 25 litres to get 19ish litres...  :(  :(  :(

Paul86

Thanks for the replies, some really good information/suggestions

I brewed an NEIPA there Yesterday, bitttering hops went in for the last 20 mins of the boil,

Cooled and held the wort at 80C for a 30 min whirlpool with 150g of hops, its in the FV bubbling away...smells amazing at the moment

Gona dry hop (~100g) for 3-4 days before bottling, Fingers crossed this process improves the hop profile in my brews.

Brudude

Really interesting stuff, been wondering about this a lot myself.