• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 03:30:32 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water Usage

Started by bbreal, November 11, 2020, 09:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbreal

Hi, wondering what people are doing to improve their water usage? I'm in Ennis which has hard water and taste isn't great. I use bottled water, what are other people doing apart from going down the line of expensive water treatment systems etc.

Emot

I bought myself an RO system which was about €50, not as expensive as what I thought it would cost. It has worked out extremely well. Strictly from a "water usage" / water conservation point of view, it's not great as it wastes quite a lot of water, but you can harvest that and reuse in your garden or whatever. I then just add basic chemicals like gypsum or calcium choloride to get my water to a specific profile.

Here's the one I picked up.

nigel_c

Yeah RO systems aren't that expensive. You could always go 50:50 with your regular tap water to bring all levels down. I do that some times for a few of my beers. 

DEMPSEY

R O here too. I fitted it in the kitchen for house use and it solves the issue of trying to guess your water additions.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

bbreal

Hi, thanks for the pointers. I'd a look a RO systems but what I was looking at were expensive, I was looking in the wrong place. Would water through the RO system be enough or would you need additives added to it also.

DEMPSEY

R.O. water is just H2O with all the good and bad stripped out. So it's a blank canvas to start building a water profile from. For brewing you need Calcium and Chloride and Sulphate. Also Magnesium and Sodium. depending on the style of beer you want to brew you can tweek your additions of salts to achieve a good result. Standard household water already can have some of the salts you need but also may have other crap you do not need so unless you know your house water minerals content you are better off using R.O. water.

DEMPSEY

You say your water is hard. Hard water will make a beer darker than soft water. Good example is Tea made with hard water is much more black and strong looking than Tea made from soft water which will look more pale. Means that any attempt for you to make pale beers will have a darker look to them.

johnrm

Quote from: Emot on November 11, 2020, 05:08:10 PMI bought myself an RO system which was about €50, not as expensive as what I thought it would cost. It has worked out extremely well. Strictly from a "water usage" / water conservation point of view, it's not great as it wastes quite a lot of water, but you can harvest that and reuse in your garden or whatever. I then just add basic chemicals like gypsum or calcium choloride to get my water to a specific profile.

Here's the one I picked up.

Where did you get one for EUR50?

Emot

The link in my post is the one I bought. It's £42.99 including delivery so €48 total.

johnrm

November 16, 2020, 07:41:30 PM #9 Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:45:11 AM by johnrm
Blind, me.
Thanks Emot

I pulled the trigger on THIS today -  a 5 stage from water2buy.

I see these guys have a similar unit, just without the pump.

bbreal

Thanks for all the pointers. Is there a source people go to for RO water additions for each beer type. I can see some help from US sites, sure its the same for us but again just a question. Thanks.

Emot

Quote from: johnrm on November 16, 2020, 07:41:30 PMI pulled the trigger on THIS today -  a 5 stage from water2buy.
I see these guys have a similar unit, just without the pump.
I do think mine is a budget RO filter as it takes so long to fill and probably wastes 5L for every 1L it produces so I imagine you're is going to be more economical!

Quote from: bbreal on November 16, 2020, 07:53:16 PMThanks for all the pointers. Is there a source people go to for RO water additions for each beer type. I can see some help from US sites, sure its the same for us but again just a question. Thanks.
I've used Bru'n Water in the past, it's a free spreadsheet.
https://www.brunwater.com/download

But on my most recent brew I used Brewfather as it's recipe and water chemistry in one. I can't say what the results are like on the brew, but it was very easy to use and seemed to suggest the correct additions based on water additions I've used before.

CH

Quote from: bbreal on November 16, 2020, 07:53:16 PMThanks for all the pointers. Is there a source people go to for RO water additions for each beer type. I can see some help from US sites, sure its the same for us but again just a question. Thanks.

BeerSmith pretty much tells you what to add in based on your base water profile.

Slev

I do think mine is a budget RO filter as it takes so long to fill and probably wastes 5L for every 1L it produces so I imagine you're is going to be more economical!

[/quote]

I have the same RO system, but bought a pump from Aliexpress for it. Significantly decreases the harvest time. 30l takes approximately 2.5to 3 hours. But it depends on your filter (time increases, the more the filter is used. Especially if you are running hard water through it. I now use it after the water softener, which makes a big difference in the life span of the filter and fill speed)