• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 03:01:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First BIAB recipe

Started by BigDes, December 09, 2020, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDes

Howdy folks. Just thought I'd post about my first BIAB I'll get around to over christmas. I'm itching to get going and I want to make sure i get it at least reasonably right so the wife doesn't kill me for making a mess of the kitchen without any results to show for it.

I'm trying to come close to a beer from one of my favourite breweries near home (deschutes). I like nearly all beers and my wife particularly likes the juicy IPAs that seem to be all the rage, so a recipe I poached from another forum and haphazardly adapted should go something like this
4.32kg Minch Pale
392g Munich light 15EBC
294g crystal 145EBC
196g Minch Wheat malt
5.2kgs total
hoping for efficiency of 72%, with 60 min mash @ 67c and 60 min boil
will have to grind up my grains a bit finer in a blender as homebrewcompany had shipped my grains so quickly, I didn't get a chance to call them to ask them to mill them finer.

WHC Irish Liquid Yeast LAX American Ale Yeast attenuation 73%

Looking to get 18l into a fermentor so starting with 25.2l of water in the 36liter kettle I've got. No spargeing
Estimated Original Gravity:   
Estimated Final Gravity:   
Estimated Alcohol By Volume:   
6.1%

15g- Nugget, 60mins
30g- Citra, 15 min
30g- Mosaic, 15 min
30g -Citra, 0 min
30g - Citra, Dry Hop for 3 days prior to bottling

Anyways hoping it all turns out alright. If you guys see any glaring errors let me know as I don't want to be totally disheartened by my first all-grain batch. I'm fairly meticulous about sanitising and never had issues with kits i've made, so understand the necessity to get the basics right. Also I live in greystones area so water is very soft. Do you reckon i need to do anything to the tap water other than try and getting some chlorine out?

TheSumOfAllBeers

Add a camden tablet to your water to get the chlorine/chloramines out - it will take a matter of minutes.

Dont plan on having 72% brewhouse efficiency - thats pretty high. Have some DME to hand in case you come up short.

Measure your boil off rate on your kit. I think you might be cutting it fine with 25L water and getting 18L into fermenter.

Dont add your 0 minute hops when you switch off the heat - add them after you have dropped the wort temperature to 80C

How are you measuring temps, and how are you cooling the wort ?

BigDes

Thanks for the quick reply and tips they're much appreciated.
I'll be sure to get some DME just incase i don't hit my target and to add those 0min hops only once temp has dropped a bit. I plan on squeezing the bag pretty hard to recover as much wort out as possible, the calculators i used online i said a grain absorption of .30/kg and tub losses of 0.9liters (fairly arbitrary number i picked out of the sky after a bit of research). Also a boil off rate of 4.7l/hr. Hard to judge all these things without having ever used the system so I guess I'll know more after my frist attempt

I've got an instant read thermo so should be fairly accurate. As for cooling, I didn't opt for a coil or plates, I've got a giant bin i plan on putting the kettle into to cool it down with frequent water changes and stirring. Not ideal but it's what i've opted for. Thanks again for your guidance

TheSumOfAllBeers

You can do a boil off test in advance with just water.

If you are doing water bath cooling, you may struggle with a batch that size. If you have access to a chest freezer use it to freeze up some ice in advance

BigDes

Just cracked a couple of these open. Decent enough. a little under carbonated. May get a bit better carbonated over the next week as it's only two weeks in bottles, but I was conservative with priming sugar as I didn't want to scare the missus away with bottle bombs. I overshot my numbers a bit. I was aiming for an OG of 1.064 and I hit 1.063. But I exceeded the FG and hit 1.009. Giving me an abv of 7% or so. Stuff is rocket fuel. Despite that the hops more than cover the alcohol taste. It remains nice and juicy. Thanks again for the help here. Think I'll do a golden ale of some sort next. Something a bit more gentle where my numerous brewing errors won't be masked with hops. It Was great fun brewing and Really enjoyed it. Can safely say I'm hooked. The guys at the homebrewcompany were really nice too in helping me out (I've no affiliation with them but like to mention and recommend good customer service when I get it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk