• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:03:02 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lidl / Aldi Cloudy Cider

Started by Blueshed, May 09, 2013, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueshed

May 09, 2013, 08:52:30 PM Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:24:46 AM by Blueshed
credit for this must go to Khannie from Boards

made this cider from the Pure cloudy apple juice, not the concentrate juice. the best value is from aldi/lidl at €1.29 a lt.

very simple to make and very happy with the result.

22 lts of apple juice
400ml of boiled water
4 tea bags
3 boxes of Sunmaid raisins, 42.5g a box
cider yeast

I boiled 400ml of water and put into a jug with 4 teabags, I used Lyons goldblend. then chopped up the raisins and added to the teabags and water and leave for 15mins before adding to the apple juice.

A after a few minutes I add the yeast and put the lid on my FV, about 16hrs later plenty of action inside the FV and for the next week the airlock is going crazy.

everything seems to finish around day 12/13 then I bottle on day 16.

OG was 1052

FG  was 0995

ABV @ 8%

I primed the 500ml bottles with around 50ml of the same cloudy apple juice then add 4 sweetener tabs to each bottle.i used the cheap lidl tabs.

tasted the first btl after 2 weeks and it was ok, after 5 weeks it's a lot better.

plan on making another batch very soon and going to divide the batch then add cloves, frozen berries etc.

put the 22lts of apple juice into my FV then add the mix of water, teabags, raisins

LordEoin

How does it compare against cider kits?
It's more expensive. Is it better tasting?

imark

Cheers for posting this one Blueshed. Was really impressed with it last night. Plan on doing a small batch myself over the next couple of weeks

brenmurph

Im makin a gallon of it when tube sends over one of his many spare demijons :D

brenmurph

and when in Aldi gettin the apple juice grab 4 cartons of aldi grape juice...tried and tested by Kellie and her friends.simple, clears on its own with a basic wine yeast.
When I can eventually afford to buy a few demijons  :(  Ill be doin a few 1 gallon fruit wines (Inc Bluesheds cider) with Kellie.....

Bubbles

Lads, I'd recommend the following thread if you want to do some further reading on Turbo Cider.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16049

It's fairly extensive, lots of good info hidden in there though. It was my primary source of info before I attempted my own batch of TC last year.

My 2c on getting a good product: long, long, long ageing. It smoothens out the rough edges. I also used the raisins and tea bags and I'd recommend you do the same if it's your first attempt.

I primed the bottles with some plain sugar and used half tsp of Splenda in each bottle. Don't be afraid of the Splenda - it doesn't make the TC seem artificial or over-sweet in any way. Having said that, I think I'll omit the Splenda next time for a drier result. Must get another batch on; I bought 10 litres of cloudy AJ some months ago.

c.

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

Quote from: Will_D on May 10, 2013, 03:18:44 PM
Quote from: Blueshed on May 09, 2013, 08:52:30 PM

3 boxes of Sunmaid raisins

What does a box weigh!
More importantly, what do the raisins weigh?  ;D ;D

Blueshed

Quote from: Will_D on May 10, 2013, 03:18:44 PM
Quote from: Blueshed on May 09, 2013, 08:52:30 PM

3 boxes of Sunmaid raisins

What does a box weigh! there from the mini 6 packs, each box is 42.5g.

the reason for these raisins is no oils or glazing agents added. http://www.sunmaid.com/products-details/raisins.html

LordEoin

I think it was these ones I got last time (might wanna check the ingredients on the pack)
They have no vegetable oil either.

Will_D

So you added 127.5 gms of raisins in total!

I assumed (Dohh!)nthat they were the normal cooking sized boxes at about 425 gms!

It'll be interesting then to see what my raisin cider turns out like as I used a kilo!

Will_D

Quote from: Will_D on May 11, 2013, 10:10:22 AM
So you added 127.5 gms of raisins in total!

I assumed (Dohh!) that they were the normal cooking sized boxes at about 425 gms!

It'll be interesting then to see what my raisin cider turns out like as I used a kilo!

LordEoin

Why did you do that? Just give me one raisen why you did that!   :-X

Will_D

Goes all French:

My Raisen d'Etre was following good old country wine practice of if in doubt of the vinosity of your fruit or vegetable wine add a pound of raisens per gallon!

Will probably have upped the OG a bit from 1052 as well.

Also added 20 gms of Malic acid and 10 gms of yeast nutrient

It is a nice dark colour and smells great

Has a lovely raiseny krausen already!

LordEoin

Damn, typos totally ruin a good pun  :(
But don't mind me, I'm just being a little braisin I don't mean to rub sultana wound.
I'm sure it'll be tasty out, and it's raisinable to assume that after a few glasses you'll be raisin a glass to your fortunate blunder.  ;D