• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 11:17:33 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lidl / Aldi Cloudy Cider

Started by Blueshed, May 09, 2013, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G

Hi Blueshed.  Have you compared using the 'normal' Lidl apple juice (no preservatives or additives) with the cloudy one?  I haven't used the cloudy one, but I've had very successful batches using the 'normal' juice....

Blueshed

just made a 2nd batch of the cloudy cider last night, 22lts of aldi and lidl apple juice and this time added 5 tea bags, 4 small boxes of raisins, I jar of honey and 250g of brown sugar.

got an OG of 1064. only thing is had no cider yeast and used the Youngs wine yeast.

GrahamR

you should also pour your juice through a sieve to catch some of the brown gunk in the carton
Lifes Too Short To Not Make Beer

Fermenter 1 - Turquoise Lunar Showing

Fermenter 2 - Vitalift Cider

Will_D

ALARM: Dangerous Fruit Puns for the next two paragraphs!

I am just Raisen the bar on this cider. My Currant grav is 1002 ( down from the 1052 (less the 1 Kg of Lidls finest Raisers)

My good friend the "Sulatanna of Sider" just popped round and checked it out, the pH is nicely at 3.6 but its color is plumming the depths of lightness!

Tastes great so far,  May just have prune the recipe a bit with some earl grey tea!

I will then Gauge the change!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

Fruit Puns!!
Orange you glad I'm tired tonight with not much brain for puns...
But it sounds like your cider will taste grape, and I wish you the cherry best of luck with it :)

wallacebiy

My latest Lidl apple juice cider is coming along nicely at present , a little dry but it's been in the bottle now for about 4-5 weeks .

I used the two spoons of barrys leaf tea ( gold blend ) fist of raisins and a stalk and a half of Rhubarb all boiled in a litre of apple Juice .

Just before bottling I added about 30g of splenda , but it didn't seem to make a dent in the sharpness .
It's not sour though so it's quite pleasant and refresshing .

Last one I did was much the same but had a cooking apple and more splenda in it . Turned out lovely

LordEoin

Quote from: wallacebiy on May 24, 2013, 02:39:24 PMI used the two spoons of barrys leaf tea ( gold blend ) fist of raisins and a stalk and a half of Rhubarb all boiled in a litre of apple Juice .
I respect your measurements!!
Wish I put some splenda into my recent kit cider, kinda tastes like a light wine at the moment (although it's warm and only in the bottle a few days, so hopefully it will be fine by summer)

Blueshed

the noise coming from my airlock is unbelievable, every 2 or 3 seconds. it's upstairs in the spare bedroom and can hear it from the kitchen.

Eoin

I don't touch my lidl ciders for a few months, that said, if you add a kilo of DME it is drinkable pretty fast as that smooths out a lot of the rough edges.

Blueshed

Lidl have Pear juice atm, just made a 5lt brew.

3.5lts of cloudy AJ
1lt of pear juice
2 teabags
1 small box of raisins 42.5g
175g of brown sugar
7g Youngs wine yeast
500ml of water.

chopped the raisins and put these and the 2 teabags into a muslin bag, then poured the boiled water over and left for 15mins.
mixed the sugar in with the boiled water and teabags.

put the muslin bag and water into the demijohn then added the juice, sprinkled the yeast then gave it a stir 10mins later.

got an OG of 1056.

imark

Got this made up on Tuesday. It's fermenting like mad. But Jaysus the stink!  :-X

Blueshed

Quote from: imark on June 21, 2013, 07:03:05 PM
Got this made up on Tuesday. It's fermenting like mad. But Jaysus the stink!  :-X

im still in the bad books over the last batch, after a few days it will ease off a bit.

what did you brew.

so far I have brewed the cloudy AJ, AJ and Peach, AJ and frozen raspberries, AJ and pear juice, plus a cheaper AJ with frozen raspberries.

next up is AJ and frozen rhubarb and AJ with cinnamon n cloves. all the mixed brews have being 5lts.

imark

I did the original recipe you posted. Liked what I tasted.  :)
Interesting mixes you've got. They all sound good.

onesoma

Looking forward to making some of this.

Looks like people are using both cider and wine yeast for this - has anyone noticed a difference between the two?

Would a basic wine yeast like this:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/youngs-dried-active-wine-and-beer-yeast-100-gram-tub-830-p.asp
do the trick? Would that dried yeast last a year or so in the fridge? Doubt I'd use it up that quickly even.

LordEoin

I had a tub of that yeast that was 2 years out of date and still working fine.
When I noticed the date, I bought a new one and sprinkled the old one on the compost heap.
It should really just be a once a year purchase  ;)