• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:47:15 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone here into making sourdough bread?

Started by Eoin, May 30, 2013, 03:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

I've successfully got a starter (grape method) working and I've been babying it for two weeks now, I did try to get a bread out of it, I ended up with a crazy sticky mess.

I did a bit more reading and am feeding it now towards a 100% hydrated starter, so hopefully this will help me when making up recipes that require this starter.

Any personal tips would be appreciated, also, once I have done a successful bread or two I'd happily give up some starter.

AdeFlesk

Let the bread prove slowly ,  try proving it in the fridge, over two days before baking,   remember to have enough salt in the dough and always a water bath in the oven when baking.

Eoin

I already use the water bath method with my normal loaves, but the sourdough is proving a little more challenging. That said, I have a nice starter going now and it is eventually doing what I expect it to do.

I should be able to get a loaf out of it this weekend :)

Jacob

Last time I've made a starter from wholegrain rye flour.
Was feeding it every day with a spoon of flour and water for a week.

Some time ago located artizan French bakery in Swords so don't have to bake anymore.

Eoin

Quote from: Jacob on May 31, 2013, 11:53:49 AM
Last time I've made a starter from wholegrain rye flour.
Was feeding it every day with a spoon of flour and water for a week.

Some time ago located artizan French bakery in Swords so don't have to bake anymore.

But the price of the artisan stuff......it's crazy. I'm actually enjoying eating my own breads :)

I can buy beer too ;)

Jacob

Quote from: Eoin on May 31, 2013, 12:35:21 PM
But the price of the artisan stuff......it's crazy. I'm actually enjoying eating my own breads :)

I can buy beer too ;)

Not eating bread every day :P So once a week can spend 3.5e for a nice loaf.

Eoin

Quote from: Jacob on May 31, 2013, 04:07:47 PM
Quote from: Eoin on May 31, 2013, 12:35:21 PM

I can buy beer too ;)

Not eating bread every day :P So once a week can spend 3.5e for a nice loaf.

Yeah but I do find with proper bread that it holds up to a bit of staleness and doesn't have to be eaten as fresh as commercial stuff.

Bubbles

+1

I also find that when I make my own, I'm more inclined to use it even when it's slightly past its prime. After going to all that effort.

- breadcrumbs (especially when fried with a little garlic, olive oil, and parsley and used as a topping for spaghetti. "Poor mans parmesan" they call it in Italy.)
- Panzanella salad
- croutons - soup, caesar salad etc.
- Garlic bread - it's the future.....

Eoin

Quote from: Bubbles on May 31, 2013, 04:46:38 PM
+1

I also find that when I make my own, I'm more inclined to use it even when it's slightly past its prime. After going to all that effort.

- breadcrumbs (especially when fried with a little garlic, olive oil, and parsley and used as a topping for spaghetti. "Poor mans parmesan" they call it in Italy.)
- Panzanella salad
- croutons - soup, caesar salad etc.
- Garlic bread - it's the future.....

Panzanella is nice, as is the blitzed up version, which is Gazpacho, basically.

Jacob

Totally agree with all mentioned, just too lazy to bake now :)
But I have to say, there's nothing better then proper sourdough bread even just with butter!
Also I do have a special bread container that keep the bread quite fresh for nearly a week.

johnrm

Oooh! A special container, do tell, with pics please.   :-*

Metattron

The crazy sticky mess may benefit from being worked more.  Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes.  You get a great bread and as a side benefit can sell tickets to the gun show! Bam Bam!  8)
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Eoin

Quote from: Metattron on June 01, 2013, 10:04:41 PM
The crazy sticky mess may benefit from being worked more.  Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes.  You get a great bread and as a side benefit can sell tickets to the gun show! Bam Bam!  8)

I was a beginner, I've been doing a few standard loaves now and have some working recipes with fresh yeast that I am successfully applying to sourdough, I've made two loaves so far and they are improving. The issue I still have is that they are not rising enough mainly because the dough was too wet, I am getting there. At least when they have risen and I turn them out of the banneton they spread out and flatten due to being too wet.

Jacob

Quote from: johnrm on June 01, 2013, 09:18:31 PM
Oooh! A special container, do tell, with pics please.   :-*
Sorry for delay ...

Using Breadsmart from Tupperware

Eoin

I've made a second sourdough at this stage, I'm finding that it doesn't tend to rise as much as the normal bread and I'm going to try some sourdough bread rolls as the next project as I have more success with rolls than with loaves so far.