• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:19:49 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone here into making sourdough bread?

Started by Eoin, May 30, 2013, 03:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

Ive been reading their blog http://tartine-bread.blogspot.ie/  & they go in to detail about fermenting over longer periods for a much better bread. 17 hours in the fridge after the initial pulling & folding every half hour. Ive got mine in there since 1am last night. Will be baking this eve so fingers crossed I get the rise Im after.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Sammy7p

Yesterday, I made my best sourdough loaf yet (pic attached), Crisp crust and nice crumb... not much of a sour taste though.  Really delighted with this as the first one I made was similar to a roof tile in shape and texture  :)

Lots of the online recipes I found require knocking it back or turning it every hour and with work etc. thats not really feasible mid week.  So for this one I made a sponge on Wednesday evening of 200mg starter, added 100mg white flour + 100ml water, mixed and left this overnight in the kitchen. On Thursday morning before work I added to the sponge, 160mg Flour + 20ml Water + 10 mg Salt (I might dial back on the salt a little next time) and put it in the bread machine to knead.  Let it rise for about an hour, then shaped it and left it in the kitchen for the day.  After work on Thursday evening I put it into the oven for 25 mins at 230C and a final 15 mins at 205C. 

Will_D

Are you baking on the micro-scale?

Milligrams of flour??

They should be Grams or milliKilograms  ;)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Hop Bomb

Lovely rise on that loaf!

I nailed it last night also. Will post pics when Ive time. I did the bulk rise in the kitchen for 2 hours & folded it on itself every half hour. Then put it in the fridge for 17 hours to complete fermentation.
Then next evening I split it in two loaves, did a 45 mins bench rest. Then shaped the loaves & put them in the proving baskets. They went in the fridge until this morning. Best bread yet! Almost there...
All I need to do now is get some decent blades so I can score my bread without deflating it. Perfect loaf then fingers crossed.

I cant recommend the tartine bread recipe/book enough. Its bloody awesome!  (if you want a more sour bread you need to leave it prove in the fridge for 12 hours or so - so it says in his book)

Eoin

Quote from: Will_D on November 22, 2013, 04:43:57 PM
Are you baking on the micro-scale?

Milligrams of flour??

They should be Grams or milliKilograms  ;)

It's homeopathic baking ;)

He's added that to water and the water has a memory of the flour having been there, and as a result it bakes a very wet bread.

Sammy7p

mg ... oh jeez.... it was grams g    :-[   

Sammy7p

well done Hop Bomb..

Quote from: Hop Bomb on November 22, 2013, 06:02:38 PM
All I need to do now is get some decent blades so I can score my bread without deflating it.

I had the same problem with using knives, none of the ones I had were thin enough or held an edge very well.
but I now use an old style razor blade mounted on a wooden coffee stirring stick and it works really well ..... google "bread lame" and look at some of the images

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

Quote from: John_C on July 04, 2013, 08:54:56 AM
It should rise just as much, it just takes longer.

I make a sponge with all the liquid and half the flour and leave that overnight. I work the rest of the flour in the next day and, from there, it takes about 5 hours to rise & prove. Once it's risen fully, your bread should be as light as one made with dried yeast.

Thanks for saying this. ever since I read it I've started giving my sourdough way longer to rise and prove and have been really enjoying the results.
IBD member

Hop Bomb

There is a float test you do with the your sponge/leaven. Get a teaspoon & drop it in room temp water (usa room temp 20c haha) If it floats to the top you are good to move on to the next stage. If it doest stick the lot somewhere warm for two hours & it'll float then.  My bread is awesome now haha Tartine bread book is the best cook book ive ever bought.

rje66

been getting good results with shape and texture but a little disappointed with flavour.
My starter was from just water and strong flour fed over 7 days at room temp.
have tried different methods

-using a sponge
-not using a sponge
-using rye flour in starter
- using a mix of rye and strong
- proving times are long

any tips for better sour flavour?
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Eoin

Quote from: rje66 on April 28, 2014, 08:16:32 PM
been getting good results with shape and texture but a little disappointed with flavour.
My starter was from just water and strong flour fed over 7 days at room temp.
have tried different methods

-using a sponge
-not using a sponge
-using rye flour in starter
- using a mix of rye and strong
- proving times are long

any tips for better sour flavour?

I have to admit, I need to revisit sourdough as my starter is no longer. I need to get one going again.
My understanding of flavour is to leave the sourdough to develop more, so it's properly sour and develops better flavour, the longer it ferments the more flavour it produces.

Hop Bomb

@RJE - for more sour let the bread proof in the fridge overnight (or 12 hours) before baking.  I personally never bother. I just let it proof at room temp for 2 or so hours & bake. Makes great bread but isnt very sour.

@ Eoin - Post me a stamped addressed envelope & Il send anyone out a yeast vial full of my starter.

Eoin

Quote from: Hop Bomb on May 01, 2014, 12:27:15 PM
@RJE - for more sour let the bread proof in the fridge overnight (or 12 hours) before baking.  I personally never bother. I just let it proof at room temp for 2 or so hours & bake. Makes great bread but isnt very sour.

@ Eoin - Post me a stamped addressed envelope & Il send anyone out a yeast vial full of my starter.

Is it home started or does it have provenance?

Hop Bomb

Dried starter from the old parisian bakery in San Francisco. On the go with me since Sept 2013. Im sure it has its own flavour now with Galway water & doves organic strong white & strong wholemeal flour.

All you'd have to do is feed it 150gms of 50/50 flour mix & 150 grams warm water & yer good to go again.

Eoin

Quote from: Hop Bomb on May 01, 2014, 01:08:13 PM
Dried starter from the old parisian bakery in San Francisco. On the go with me since Sept 2013. Im sure it has its own flavour now with Galway water & doves organic strong white & strong wholemeal flour.

All you'd have to do is feed it 150gms of 50/50 flour mix & 150 grams warm water & yer good to go again.

Ok, I'd be interested. PM me your address and I'll get you a white labs vial in the post.