• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:07:22 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP Course Schedule

Started by Padraic, June 16, 2013, 09:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Quote from: DaMun on June 17, 2013, 03:24:24 PM
Ye may have this already but I found the BJCP App below that has all the BJCP styles and there are versions for all OS's.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.transmutex.bjcpdroid

Nice one, sent that to my tablet and will take a look when I get home.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Andrew

Quote from: Padraic on June 17, 2013, 01:16:24 PMSorry lads but unfortunately August is going to have to be that weekend as I'm away the two weekends after that and I wouldn't have enough time to get prepared before that!

Would it be possible to get the course notes for the August meet so I could study it on my own. Otherwise another idea would be if there was a number of people who couldn't make that day- we all get together on a Saturday afterwards and try and muddle our way through the course notes.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Partridge9

Quote from: Rossa on June 17, 2013, 03:29:45 PM
July 20 is the Craft brewing conference in the CSD.

Well Spotted Mr Rossa

Padraic

Quote from: Andrew on June 17, 2013, 04:31:28 PM
Quote from: Padraic on June 17, 2013, 01:16:24 PMSorry lads but unfortunately August is going to have to be that weekend as I'm away the two weekends after that and I wouldn't have enough time to get prepared before that!

Would it be possible to get the course notes for the August meet so I could study it on my own. Otherwise another idea would be if there was a number of people who couldn't make that day- we all get together on a Saturday afterwards and try and muddle our way through the course notes.

All notes will be provided to you if you don't make it along for any of the days! I will also give you a beer list and let you know where I got them!

The most important part of the course is actually tasting the beers. That said there is a bit of slog learning by rote for the online exam! But ye will be well prepared! I promise!

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Is there a course outlook/timetable? It might have already been posted on the bigger thread.

For instance, the on-line exam, when is that to be done and is that part of what we are paying or extra
Reuben Gray

Padraic

Quote from: Saruman on June 17, 2013, 06:27:21 PM
Is there a course outlook/timetable? It might have already been posted on the bigger thread.

For instance, the on-line exam, when is that to be done and is that part of what we are paying or extra

The online and exam are both extra above what you are paying but I am hoping to have just enough left over to at least contribute to these. I am also thinking of asking the members if they would support using club funds for the exams themselves, as having the knowledge in the club is worth the cost of our exams I'd say! (Plus if we put it to the membership we have 18 (and counting) guaranteed votes)

Unfortunately the course syllabus has not yet been nailed down to a tee, but will loosely follow the BJCP study guide: (except we'll be doubling up and doing two classes a day)
http://nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1519.msg18757.html#msg18757
(also ignore the beer list on there as most of them are not available here!)

I will have a better outline of the plan on day one of the course! At the moment I'm focusing on day one! Longer term scheduling will fall out over the next couple of weeks!

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Grand thanks

Is the online exam something we should be doing soon? Or much later?
Reuben Gray

Padraic

The online exam can be done whenever, I would say later is better. But I'll explain all of that on day one!

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Thanks, just wanted to make sure we did not have to do it before the first meet.
Reuben Gray

johnrm

Can we put the schedule up on the calendar?
I just figured how to add it to my phone.

Padraic

Quote from: johnrm on June 17, 2013, 08:45:22 PM
Can we put the schedule up on the calendar?
I just figured how to add it to my phone.

You can indeed! I don't have time at the moment to stick them all up!

johnrm

Padraic

Quote from: Rossa on June 17, 2013, 03:29:45 PM
July 20 is the Craft brewing conference in the CSD.

This got lost while I was flicking through this originally!

I think a good few people on the course are planning on attending this so we might drop July 20th and pick a new date in the future. (Unfortunately I have no other free saturday in July)

I'll post a seperate vote: http://nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2995.0.html

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Reuben Gray

johnrm

If you drop a date, continue with the next scheduled date, you can always add a date at the end.