• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:02:33 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Dungarvan Brewing Company "Comeragh Challenger"

Started by Bubbles, August 09, 2013, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Quote from: Bubbles on August 26, 2013, 12:42:36 PM
That's a pity.

Indeed it is as the only pub that has it around here is Merrys and i don't know them :'(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on August 26, 2013, 01:02:13 PM
Who gave you a no answer?

Dungarvan Brewing Company  :'(

Let me clarify that was in regards to me bringing in my own cornie keg and getting them to fill it and paying them there  :'(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

delzep

Drinking a bottle of this at the mo. My review - a bit gank

Metattron

Did not like it, nosir. Challenger is ok as a bittering hop but not for flavour, not for me anyhow.  Magnum now, that's another story....
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

irish_goat

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 04, 2013, 10:31:36 PM
I've had it twice, once on cask, and shortly afterwards in bottle. Both times it was infected with wild yeast. Hazy and tasted like a Belgian.

Unusual for Dungarvan. I've had one infected cask from them, had the cooked vegetable problem but the bottles have always been grand. Never had one sent back in the B&C anyway.

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 05, 2013, 11:28:10 AM
I take it back. CC was fine (if a little bland), it was Mahon Falls that I've not had a good example of.

For once i am going to agree with Tube(don't tell him), i have only had the one bottle of the Mahon falls but was not impressed too much, however for research purposes i will try some more :P The CC i love though especially on tap in Merrys. :D

irish_goat

Mahon Falls was too nutty for my taste, I have a slight allergy to peanuts and the beer just made me think of them too much. My brother goes mad for the stuff though.

Greg2013

Quote from: irish_goat on September 05, 2013, 11:51:00 AM
Mahon Falls was too nutty for my taste, I have a slight allergy to peanuts and the beer just made me think of them too much. My brother goes mad for the stuff though.

Sure they are all nuts below in Mahon Falls  :P

Bubbles

I really enjoyed the Mahon Falls, I have to say. Though I think the cask version being served in the RDS last year was head and shoulders above the recent bottled offering. Still laverly though..

Eoin

I had the CC on cask in the B&C recently and was underwhelmed. It simply wasn't a good beer, not  infected or anything but it was way below what I've tasted of this before in the bottle.

JimmyM

Had a bottle of comeragh challenger last night tcp flavour off it threw it down the sink - i wouldn't have drank it if i had brewed it myself.

Must get the batch number off the bottle...

(and before anyone says "did you tell the brewer".... no i didnt - this is the way i roll now!)
Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

Formerly JamesM.