• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 09:25:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Professional brewery disinfectant up to 6 times cheaper than starsan

Started by brenmurph, August 15, 2013, 11:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

@ alex.

go here for spec sheet
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0HlAw7DArN/

click slow download and you get it

or chat ciderhead hes the plastic expert :)

brenmurph

from what I know its used in farming / milking for hoses, buckets milking machines and the milking things that go on the cows, that seems like a good mix of ss plastic rubber, glass and so on so im guessin it safe on all surfaces

onesoma

@irish_goat - 6 month shelf life for the undiluted product?

irish_goat

Quote from: onesoma on August 15, 2013, 03:12:41 PM

According to this, yeah. http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/datasheets/Data-Sheets2/Peracetic%20Acid%205%25.pdf

brenmurph

lads its not peracetic acid 5%

its a mix used by professional breweries, supplied by the professional suppliers who has recomended this and other products. 
Heres whats in the product and it does not have a shelf life and does not deteriorate unless its stored in heat or contaminated by various contaminants ..its all clearly written in the spec.

3. Composition/information on ingredients

3.1 Type of product: Mixture

Peroxyacetic Acid
Concentration (%): 0-5

Hydrogen Peroxide
Concentration (%): 5-10

Acetic Acid
Concentration (%): 30-50

hope this helps clarify what it is...

brenmurph

Quote from: irish_goat on August 15, 2013, 03:18:47 PM
Quote from: onesoma on August 15, 2013, 03:12:41 PM

According to this, yeah. http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/datasheets/Data-Sheets2/Peracetic%20Acid%205%25.pdf

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/AbwYTsstg7/

heres the spec sheet for the actual product in question again. Read and ye will see it is stable and does not deteriorate when stored according to the recomended method.
They have been supplying this to commercial breweries for decades. We had all this debate a few weeks back, today's post was really about who's interested in a purchase, but roll on the debate anyway :)

delzep

Chat to ye about this in the county later...looks interesting (and cheap!)

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

brenmurph

biocel are the manufacturers down in cork. As its used extensively in dairy farming it can be got in glanbia stores as well however they only sell in 25 litres containers labeled under the brand Perfogrif

Hop Bomb

How does this perform in comparison to starsan? The beauty of starsan is you dont have to rinse. Is this stuff the same?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

brenmurph

its all debated in the thread above and other posts...happy reading

Hop Bomb

I nice polite straight answer would have been lovely seeing as you're organising & trying to fill this group buy. Happy Friday!

brenmurph

apologies hop bomb....spent hours yesterday on two posts with this.

In summary of this thread:

its a no rinse in the recomended dilution 300ppm
its what many / all of  the commercials use ( open to correction)
It dosnt foam, some find this a disadvantage
its 4 times cheaper than starsan if we buy 20 litres as a group
It does not go out of date after 6 months... if stored correctly it does not degrade
Like starsan, oxy action, vwp or bleach or even vinegar its got to be respected re health and safety and follow the rules

some people are concerned that its arguably dangerous in the wrong hands. I agree however hot bleach is extremly dangerous for the lungs and eyes and many dont realise that bleach should be used cold. Oxy action ( used for laundry is realy bad for skin and will disolve you skin, vwp the same I believe.  so yes its a strong acid in neat concentrations but follow safety if using it

Hope this helps.

Theres a debate on another thread as well  Group buys and general discussions.

Theres also a few weeks back hot debate on this.

Personally im not sure why were paying 30 euros a litre for starsan ( just realised 45 euros a litre if u buty the 8oz bottle) when we can buy commercial stuff for 40 euros a gallon.

Im not pushing a group buy I making people aware that theres an alternative there. I'll probably buy it anyway because as a drain cleaner, household sanitiser, mould / pathway killer its cheaper than anything available in the supermarket and biodegradable and ozone friendly.

Hope this helps :)

johnrm

Wheres the list?

1  hydrogen peroxide
2  Acetic acid
3  johnrm

(Who are those other 2? Nooooobbbbbs)

Hop Bomb

@Bren - I should have read the thread. I just wanted a quick yes or no on the no rinse thing. Thanks for the detailed reply.