• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 05:30:18 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Professional brewery disinfectant up to 6 times cheaper than starsan

Started by brenmurph, August 15, 2013, 11:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Quote from: mr happy on August 30, 2013, 11:00:13 PM
Quote from: jus223 on August 30, 2013, 10:29:05 PMThe worst thing about starsan would be the phosphoric acid.

C'mon there's phosphoric acid in Coke. :D :D                             

Theres h2o2 ( hydrogen peroxide) in the atmosphere as well but not at 35%...

the concentration / levels make the difference :)

mr hoppy

I know nothing about chemistry but I understand that ph is a logarithmic scale so diluting 1 to 10 should push you from 1 to 2?

I'm curious about your comment in relation to the Dodecylbenzesulfonic acid, why would it get in the way?

@brenmurph - totally appreciate your point about concentration, just having a bit of banter.

brenmurph

mr hoppy

Reading a soda recipe book called Fix the Pumps at the moment about early 20th century soda parlours - back when cola was full of cocaine and hard liquor. It talks a lot about a genre of soft drinks called phosphates that had phosphoric acid as an ingredient, so I couldn't resist.

brenmurph

Dis yis know that H2O2 @ 3% is used in numerous ways as a skin treatment, cancer treatment, vegetable treatment.. and its also one of the most popular municipal water treatments worldwide? Albeit argued by the medical profession as to its safety...

mr hoppy

brenmurph

see....once diluted its pretty harmless to humans...the neat studd is rightly what the concern would be.. its not a big issue...there are far more dangerous things in ur house.....its just about being sensible when there are genuine cautions with a product :)

jus223

QuoteI'm curious about your comment in relation to the Dodecylbenzesulfonic acid, why would it get in the way?

Dodecylbenzesulfonic acid is a surfactant. Im no microbiologist but I think that surfactants can affect the cell walls of yeast cells.

johnrm

Ciderhead

If there is a large crater reported on the news tomorrow night in the middle of the N7 smelling of roasted malt and toilet cleaner, tell them not to bother with the embalming fluid it won't be necessary.

brenmurph

Have u got the ratchet straps to strap it down in the boot, maybe it would have been safer to bring the trailer to cork and put some orange flashing lights on it just in case it leaks and ruinsssssss our lovely grain  comes out through the rust hole it will make in ur boot and disolve a crater in the m7 which will cause an earthquake and fllood the country:) ;) ;D holy god. ???...wat have we gotten into :-[ :o

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: brenmurph on September 13, 2013, 07:16:33 AM
Have u got the ratchet straps to strap it down in the boot, maybe it would have been safer to bring the trailer to cork and put some orange flashing lights on it just in case it leaks and ruinsssssss our lovely grain  comes out through the rust hole it will make in ur boot and disolve a crater in the m7 which will cause an earthquake and fllood the country:) ;) ;D holy god. ???...what have we gotten into :-[ :o
LOL. This is why I love this forum!
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

brenmurph

Yes the H2o2 is on the way but it will be a week or two before all the technical stuff is sorted. H2o2 when diluted pproperly can be used as an effective household disinfectant and more besides. Bleach should be a thing of the past. H2o2 at retail concentrations is safe and effective. Will have more info soon. Because its a cleaner as well it will be an effective overnight soaker.

Keep an eye on this post for updates

@ Homebrewest
Sorry Homebrewwest for doin ye outa starsan trade on this group buy H2o2 thingy,  but starsan seems to be in stock and then outa stock, its expensive @ 30 euros a litre and so on. There is another starsan type product I see you have in stock.. a bit cheaper than starsan is it a more reliable supply? H2o2 is available in a 7% and 3% solution which seem to fall outside of hazardous territory for retail supply.

Ciderhead

I'm continuing with Star San as 1 bottle lasts 1 year and I don't trust myself :)

Sent from my Fukushima Daiichi Geiger counter

brenmurph

u musnt do much brewin! so :)  I can appreciate starsan lasts a year but read on its not about the money..........thats a bonus

another viewpoint and the real reason Im so interested in it....that i havnt mentioned yet :P

well the way I see it is its not for brewing, its a toilet cleaner, vegetable washer, kitchen spray, dog bowl sanitiser to kill slug viruses, its a polytunnel mould preventer, a quail hen pen demoulder ( mould kills quails) and anti viral, its a multipurpose cleaner, mould from pathway remover and thats the tip of the iceberg...
and moreso its prevents having to use or buy bleach which is a disaster for the environment and for personal health. H2o2 is 100% biodegradable in a very short time 12 hrs perhaps, is non toxic to anything except moulds, virusus, bacteria and fungi and at 500ppm is safe for humans and is extremely cheap probably 100 or more times cheaper than bleach which I hate >:(
In contrast bleach appears to be still in our rivers, lakes and sea weeks or months after we flush it down the loo and as for the air, thats a long story the ozone is in a mess it seems.
all in all Im proceding with my research for sure and will have a workable, safe, effective solution to this debate which is 100% ozone friendly :) ;) :D ;D and ye will thank me for it in due course :P

The issues with h2o2 is the neat industrial form, hence ive spent over a month talking to several chemists, will..d, jus123 several chemical reps and so on.....Ill keep ye updated