• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 08:41:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mills

Started by irish_goat, August 31, 2013, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

I am really tempted at a roller mill but regularly getting 80%+ efficiency from my corona and I keep asking myself why?

Greg2013

Quote from: Ciderhead on September 01, 2013, 02:36:30 PM
I am really tempted at a roller mill but regularly getting 80%+ efficiency from my corona and I keep asking myself why?

When you say 80% how are you calculating that figure CH ? At that efficiency allright it makes little sense to me to lash another 90 euro for a fancy roller mill, unless you were grinding massive grain bills on a regular basis :)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

I don't beersmith does it for me
starting off, spend your money elsewhere

Ciderhead

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 01, 2013, 06:05:31 PM
Apparently a roller will give you better flavour as you can adjust the amount by which the husks are shredded.

Lmfaol go on outta that, cracked is cracked,
Corona mills do perform much better with the mods, I can adjust the thickness on my corona as well to the point I can get uncracked husks coming through if I wanted too.
What a roller mill allows you to do is crush with less damage to the husk and retain structure so that when mashing, its better for filtration and avoidance of a stuck sparge, some get around this with rice huls?. I have been really lucky with my manifold and never had a stuck sparge thank god, and now that I herms, clarity is not an issue now either.
In summary absolutely buy a roller mill longer term, starting out save your pennies.

Nice vid btw but no commentary?

Eoin

Rollers do a lot less damage to the hull than coronas which pretty much shred them. I'd say it's true. I'd also say the tubemeister will have noticed with the amount of lagers he does.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ciderhead

"Defo tastes better from a roller mill" isn't exactly scientific thats just a personal opinion and how did you know it was the mill that was the difference.

The maltsters use multiple stage rollers or wet mill because for commercial reasons they can crack quicker with more uniformity, but its absolutely nothing to do with taste.

Corona milling if done properly do not shred grain if you over shred you get flour as in this article
"too many fine particles gum up the works, slowing down the lauter and increasing leaching time for tannins and other harsh or astringent flavor notes."
http://byo.com/stories/item/1166-motorize-your-grain-mill-projects

If you were getting tannins or astringent taste then it was over crushed

Have a read of this 13 year old article, which is still valid.

http://byo.com/stories/item/717-great-grain-crack-the-mystery-of-the-crush

More interestingly I read somewhere (can't find it now but will keep searching)about an experiment on the speed of the drill where the rpm in shredding rather than crushing is important.

On my milling a nice steady constant speed rather than try to rip though it asap.

I have done close to 25 pilsners and several kolschs and golden ales and never had any of the above flavours, I always check the crush each time but never had a variation problem in the crush post modifications.   

As I said above if you are starting out Corona, and if you feel you want to go to the next level then the B3 Millar or a 3D crankenstein roller mill is your next move.

irish_goat

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 01, 2013, 10:15:59 PMThe ONE thing I will say is that if starting with a corona and upgrading, it will leave you with a redundant corona when you do upgrade. You'd probably sell it handy enough, but why bother with that step at all, and just start with a roller.

This is the way I'm looking at it.

Appreciate all the discussion lads. I'll wait to read Tube's review on the Brewferm mill before making any decisions.

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 01, 2013, 10:15:59 PM

The ONE thing I will say is that if starting with a corona and upgrading, it will leave you with a redundant corona when you do upgrade. You'd probably sell it handy enough, but why bother with that step at all, and just start with a roller.

I can think of 90 Euro worth of reasons ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

slippydog1988

Lads. Did any of you go for the roller mill. I wouldn't mind getting in on this deal if its not too late??

Ciderhead

Slippy you need to be a member to partake in group buys and use NHC bank account so that should be your starting point.

baconsarnie

I'd certainly be interested if there's another list put together (post Il Tubo review and all that)

Bubbles

baconsarnie

Great review.

Downside, as a Cavan man, is you've probably covinced me with the need to spend money   >:( >:(

johnrm

irish_goat

Great review Tube. Hope the cat in the first picture wasn't better acquainted with the mill!

Any opinions on the durability compared to the other mills? The M3 attracts me because it looks very durable and long lasting.