• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 08:28:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Local Pasteurised Apple Juice

Started by @geterbrewed, September 20, 2013, 06:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@geterbrewed

Pasteurised Irish Apple Juice? Anyone interested?

Locally sourced apple juice for the home brewer that desires a truly handcrafted cider, we are great supporters of buying local and supporting local businesses and farmers, We have managed to source a local farmer that is providing us a blend of apples that have been handpicked by experienced apple pickers from orchards that have been nurtured for over a century!!. You can't buy this quality of apple juice anywhere else!A truly artisan product sourced from a local farm. During harvest the apples are handpicked gently to avoid any bruising, the apples are then placed into a traditional rack and cloth press, no modern computerised machines that mass produce are used here. The final product is a superior quality juice than commercially machine produced juice with more texture and flavour because tiny bits of fruit remain in the juice. A truly handcrafted natural product which is grown locally, it contains no artificial ingredients or flavours. Each batch may vary slightly in colour and taste according to the growing season of the apples and blend of apples used.

Our apples are being harvested as we speak, just guaging the interest and keeping you updated with another one of our projects.

We will be supplying 20 or 25  litre drums and BIB bags ( probably 10 and 20 l) of juice which has been pasteurised thus removing the naturally occurring yeasts, providing you with a superior product to make home brew cider without the risks.
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

Eoin

There is a group buy going on directly with a producer presently, so your timing is possibly a bit off. I can also envision that your margins might push it beyond the price we are getting. That said good luck with it. It's a great idea, also if pasteurised and sealed you'll be good to sell it all year.

I can see how I'd buy that off of you at the right price out of season.

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

Ciderhead

Thanks for posting, we have three sources of apple juice from growers that produce specifically cider apples who either press themselves or sub-contract it, one of which is the largest semi organic independent player and another is the only truly organic producer on the Island.
We also have a supplier in the North whose quality of product continuously wins prizes.

Our apple juice is pressed under sterile conditions ensuring only natural yeasts prevail and it's delivered to the end user the same day in order to ensure complete freshness.

Although not a fan of pasteurising juice for cider that product may be of interest to those wishing to produce juice in the winter months if the price was right, what price point would that product be?

Ciderhead

September 20, 2013, 08:31:03 PM #3 Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:45:15 PM by Ciderhead
Not quite true Tube there are 2 members currently from NI.

As a club we are building relationships with producers with the sole intent of increasing our knowledge base on how to produce a premium end product and educate our members in the skill of blending.

Our competition standard was average last year with the exception of the winners of course but within a few years and 4 or 5 more buys that will almost certainly improve.

In the same way we source base grains directly, I strongly feel that this is not an area that a merchant can or we would want competing with an NHC group buy or buys but there is an opportunity with pasteurised juice.

Eoin

I would buy pasteurised out of season before I'd buy a kit. I think there is a market personally but I don't really see it as competing :-)

LordEoin

I'm not a big cider drinker/brewer, but just wondering what varieties of apples are in this?
There'd probably be other concerns like sugar content, PH, etc.
On the rare occasions that I make a cider, when looking at juice my eyes first go to the ingredients and nutritional values, and that's pretty much where my mind is made up.
If you could get solid facts about the juice, I'm sure you'd double the amount you sell :)
Either way, if they're pasteurised and stored right they'll sell off-season (or don't pasteurise them and by the time it's off season you'll make your money off cider instead of applejuice ;D)
Best of luck with!

@geterbrewed

Eoin, I know our timing may seem a bit off as you guys have just made a group buy, but to have a premium product we had to wait until harvest and that is on going as we speak. We are buying a significant quantity so it should be available all year without issue.

Ciderhead,
Our supplier has a proven track record also, the products they supply have won prizes too. I would like to highlight that we are not trying to compete with group buys, we simply want to offer something unique, preferably something home grown and obviously we want to make a living, we aren't wanting to take away from what you guys do, we are big fans of the homebrew club. Hopefully we have an opportunity with the pasteurised juice, I know we couldn't compete with group buys.

Il Tubo,
Thanks, we hope to have a wealth of info when our blend is ready. The unique thing we have with this product is that it genuinely is artisan, not just a fancy marketing term. The apples are hand picked and pressed in a traditional way in a rack and cloth press.

LordEoin,
The blend will be a mix of cider apples, cookers and desert apples, we are currently trying some different blends to see what works for us. We haven't got the details ref sugar content ph etc at the minute, I am aware that the juice is not messed with, it has no additives or preservatives added.

Thanks for the feedback, as for pricing we are trying our very best to bring value for money, the biggest issue at the minute is the packaging price, drums and bib bags are proving expensive. Once I have a price I will post it up.

Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

Eoin

I love the idea. Homebrew is coming on in leaps and bounds, it's great to see.

@geterbrewed

First blend of 100% pure cider apple juice is ready;

This cider apple juice comes in a 20 litre white plastic food grade drum, this blend is 50/50 Michelin and Dabinett.

ABOUT THE APPLES

Cider Apple Michelin;
Michelin is a traditional French cider apple variety producing a bittersweet juice
This variety produces sweet astringent juice and cider of medium-sweet character.

Cider Apple Dabinett
A classic English cider apple variety, which produces a bittersweet juice. It is also one of the most reliable and easy cider varieties to grow. Unlike many cider varieties which are best-used for blended ciders, Dabinett can also be used to produce a single-varietal full-bodied medium-dry cider. Produces a good crop of apples with a strong aroma and distinctive flavour, fruit is smallish with red stripes and a red flush.

This blend will produce a dry mellow full bodied cider

http://www.geterbrewed.com/michelin-davinett-cider-apple-blend

£27.50/€32.45
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

@geterbrewed

What blends of apple juice would you guys like to see on sale?

What blend of pasteurised apple juice from a mix of desert,cooking and cider apples? I am wanting to guage the most popular ratios for our next blend, we thought we would go traditional with the first batch, that's why we kept it 100% cider apples.

I was thinking of a straight three third mix for the next one?

We are putting up a drum for raffle for you guys too

Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

LordEoin

Raffle incoming!
Thanks GetErBrewed <3

Ciderhead

How is it being pasteurised?

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

Ciderhead

November 14, 2013, 05:19:28 PM #12 Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:06:30 PM by CH
Quote from: Il Tubo on November 14, 2013, 04:18:50 PM
Quote from: @geterbrewed on November 14, 2013, 02:34:57 PM
What blends of apple juice would you guys like to see on sale?
My own juice is about 95% dessert 5% eater and so far I'm quite happy with it. In Kent they tend to not use cider apples either, so personally I'd like to explore this avenue a bit more.

The other option is French cider apples (the pinnacle of the art of making cider is French), but I'd be pretty sure no French varieties are being grown here.

I lived in Kent for 10 years and they use cider apples in blends not the tannic single varietal  scrumpy varieties I drank when I was at Uni in the West Country tho.
The French have a unique process but having tried over 20 varieties jumping over to France on the boat and on holidays, I wouldn't thank you for any of them as they are sweeter and lower abv.

@geterbrewed unlike the largest producer on the island who buy their juice in from Eastern Europe we should be encouraging consumption and growing the best apple varieties in Europe, our own.
I'll be up to buy some at some stage.

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

@geterbrewed

Hi CH, sorry for the delayed reply, I've been mad busy.

The Cider Apple Juice is pasteurised with heat- 72 degrees

Pasteurised apple juice removes the naturally occuring yeast allowing the home brewer to have consistent brews.

We have other blends being made up in the next few days
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

@geterbrewed

Il Tubo, You stated that you like the 95:5 ratio, would you recommend a blend like that, what was the finished product like?
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie