• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 03:31:36 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP online exam:

Started by Hop Bomb, October 02, 2013, 06:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

Whats the craic with this? I did it & passed but it doesnt give you a score out of 200. Only a list of things questions I didnt pass on...

User Name:   Thomas Delaney
Course Name:   BJCP Entrance Exam
Course ID:   BJCP
Exam Name:   BJCP Entrance Exam
Attempt:   1
You scored below passing in the following categories:

Beer Styles - Multiple Answer
BJCP Program
Brown and Scottish Ales - True/False
Dark Ale Comparison - True/False
English and American Ales - Multiple Choice
Hybrid, Wheat and Belgian - Multiple Choice
Lagers - Multiple Choice
Porter and Stout - True/False
Processes and Ingredients - Multiple Choice
Style Comparison - Multiple Choice
Technical Brewing Questions - Multiple Answer

Whats the craic? Is there an actual pass score or what?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Padraic

Did they email you a certificate? Was that all that was up on the screen? I forget what came up when I sat it!

I'd say try logging in again and seeing if it says passed/failed next to the exam...

Dunkel

They don't give you a score - it's either pass or fail. The passing score is secret to the BJCP, but it's probably around 60%. The list of "below passing" sets of questions is like when your school report said "must try harder in these areas".

But you've passed!  ;D Roll on February!

Cathal O D

What needs to be done before sitting the online exam?

Hop Bomb

Yeah I got emailed a cert. I just found it weird that you don't get your score.

Padraic

Sorry I misread earlier, they are very secretive about passing grades etc for the online exam! Congrats on passing! I assume you'll be giving the tasting exam a go in February?

@cathal - I'd say a good knowledge of the styles and the bjcp study guide would see you through it. I hope to go through some bits over the next couple of course days to make it easier for ye all to pass!

Hop Bomb

Id written off doing bjcp this year as I couldnt commit to that many trips to Dublin. Seeing as there are extra slots now though I might aswell give it a lash. Ive not done any of the tasting sessions like ye have. What exactly happens at these? (can i do them myself at home?)  Where do I get the literature about the actual bjcp judge rules & guidelines? (there were a lot of those questions in the online test that I just took a guess at)

Thanks.

Padraic

Quote from: Hop Bomb on October 03, 2013, 08:26:34 AM
Ive not done any of the tasting sessions like ye have. What exactly happens at these? (can i do them myself at home?)  Where do I get the literature about the actual bjcp judge rules & guidelines? (there were a lot of those questions in the online test that I just took a guess at)

So far at the tasting sessions the main focus has been on tasting the beers and filling in scoresheets. I did a small introduction on tasting beer on the first night and Will did a lecture on water, I dropped the planned series on the various topics due to them being just a bit heavy for our needs.

The two main documents you require when Studying for the BJCP (All Levels) are the Style Guidelines and the Study Guide. For the Tasting exam you really only need to study the style guidelines. The Study guide is good for the online exam as well but mainly for the written exam. (It is in here you'll find the info on the bjcp's rules and procedures)

The written exam can only be taken if you have achieved a high enough score in the tasting exam. So we hope to have a few members sitting this in late 2014 or early 2015.

From a tasting at home point of view, the beers have all been sourced locally, there is a list of appropriate beers at the bottom of each style guideline.

Study Guide: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_Study_Guide.pdf

Style Guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php

I will put up an article on the front page over the coming weeks with some better info, but if you learn those two documents you'll be in good shape for the entrance exam and the tasting exam.

Hop Bomb

Thanks Padraic. Will ye defo be running a siebel day for members before the tasting exam?

Padraic

We hope to, probably one for the people and a second one for anyone else interested! Might do a third if we get the numbers!

matthewdick23

did my online this morning and passed

loving it

was nervous at the end as it was processing my result lol!

Padraic

Well done Matthew! It's always a nervous few seconds awaiting a result on online exams!

See you on Saturday, or possibly Friday...

Padraic

I just came across this on another forum:

QuoteI was involved in setting up the question pool (hence my curiosity on how it's being received). There are ~6000 true/false and multiple choice questions in the question pool. I don't see how a "cheat sheet" can be made that will be effective for this kind of test.

6,000 questions sounds like a lot alright!

Shane Phelan

Just did it there now and passed. Being a brewer is a massive advantage for the exam for the technical questions.
There were a lot of repeated questions too.
Brew Log