• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:18:59 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP online exam:

Started by Hop Bomb, October 02, 2013, 06:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

I'd agree with you john on pretty much all those points.

In an earlier post or two I have also highlighted most of these. Particularly the tricky questions which are difficult to dechipher ( I actually gave an example to highlight the type of issue (" Jumping from a style question to one on OG range to a trick double-negative (Verbal reasoning)" and yes it involves many forms of reasoning that some people have and some havnt and we all lose this ability with age so definate ageism at play as well ( and I dont mean BJCP are deliberatly anti age) there is a large advantage to a 2o year old versus a 60 or 70 year old without a dought and not just on reasoning but practical handling of the computer based tasks.

Hopefully some good will come of our comments on it

johnrm

6. Why are we expected to know all about Grand Masters?
I'm sorry but the table of %ages are completely irrelevant to the Apprentice Judge.
To get a licence for an Articulated Truck you start by driving a car.

7. Given the difficulties that some of us have encountered, I am of the opinion that this obstacle entrance exam standard is high enough that the BJCP are excluding some potentially excellent judges from participating and evolving organically which in my opinion would make it a better and more wholesome organisation.

8. Shouldn't this be fun?

Tom

Quote from: brenmurph on January 31, 2014, 04:08:38 PM
there is a large advantage to a 2o year old versus a 60 or 70 year old

We'll see... I haven't tried it yet!

Cathal O D

I totally agree with your comments john. Some of the questions are a bit off the wall.
But it is what it is.

Quote from: johnrm on January 31, 2014, 05:16:01 PM
8. Shouldn't this be fun?

It should be and it will be.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

johnrm

Quote from: Cathal O D on January 31, 2014, 05:37:17 PM
But it is what it is.
Absolutely, understood.
I appreciate that its not a walk in the park.

"Son, my Father, my Fathers Father, and my Fathers Fathers Father all fell down the same Hoooolllle..."

Sometimes change is good.
I heard we were allowed input.
I've paid in, so I'm having my say.

brenmurph

Quote from: Tom on January 31, 2014, 05:17:33 PM
Quote from: brenmurph on January 31, 2014, 04:08:38 PM
there is a large advantage to a 2o year old versus a 60 or 70 year old

We'll see... I haven't tried it yet!

1 participant in a study dosnt count Tom ;D

Mental agility/ performance  (Reasoning, planning, concentration and memory) These are all embedded into the fast paced exam; This is my main constructive criticism of the exam.

All above componants of brain function decline with age hence my statement and therefore the age related advantage in the general population. Add to that the comments previously made.

In reality a paper exam would work far better and would eliminate many of the issues and at the end of the day education is about learning outcomes not fast memories and photographic memory. Indeed as someone just mentioned when this happens great potential people get left behind.
The whole European Qualifications Framework  is based on competencies and learning outcomes not old fashioned pressurised tests which sadly still exist albeit slowley changing.

Everything you need to know about my Cognitive comments are contained in glorious detail here, including very good referencing.

http://www.cambridgebrainsciences.com/

johnrm

+1 bren.

'Learning by rote' isn't that what they call it.
To hell with that.

Andrew

Dear Andrew Moore,

Congratulations, you have passed BJCP Entrance Exam.
Attached is the certificate for this exam.

Certificate Information
Name: Certificate of Completion
No. 1709  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I must have been confident- I only paid for the single exam rather than the 3 for 2. Off for a congratulatory beer. I think the limited edition Samichlaus is in order.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Will_D

Congrats Andrew!

Are you doing the exam on Saturday?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Andrew

I am now. To tell you the truth I was kinda bricking it before I approached the exam after I read this thread.

To give any advice on the exam, I would say spend as little time as possible on the multiple answer questions. I found I could be certain on 2 or 3 of the possible answers and then get stuck on one of the others because I wasn't 100% sure if it was correct or not. These are the question which I think take up most of your time.

Being a home brewer is definitely a plus but as I haven't graduated to full grain yet, there was still a lot for me to learn before taking it. On the plus side all the BJCP admin/methodology questions are pretty obvious, and I think that might have swung it for me in the end. That and the off-flavours where probably my strengths.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Andrew

And just to add- after taking the exam, there's a lot of areas I think the BJCP can tighten up on, re the Study Aid and Style Guidelines.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Padraic

I agree with the comments in general from John and Bren, but the reason for this test is because it saves them time in having humans marking the exam. If it was a written exam they would need a skilled person to read your thoughts and decide whether your points are relevant or not. The exam was brought in to make the process a bit more streamlined...

I agree that the BJCP's methods are not perfect but they are still the best show in town for home brew beer judging. And only (imho) beaten by Certified Cicerone's in beer tasting at the moment.

And John, the fun bit was tasting all the beers at the start, it's all down hill from here!!

Best of luck in getting through it, there is a lot of luck involved. I found that relaxing is the best way to approach it but that's easier said than done!