• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 03:18:21 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Potato juice?

Started by admin, October 06, 2013, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Anyone every tried ferment it and make a non-distilled beverage (;)) from it?

I see mention of juicing potatoes and apples together on the interweb to make a tasty health drink.

LordEoin

potato wine:

1kg potatoes
1kg raisins
2kg brown sugar
1 pint husked fresh wheat
3L water
Wine yeast.

chop the raisins, grate the potato, add to water with the sugar, wheat and wine yeast.
ferment in a cool place in a loosely sealed container stirring regularly for 3 weeks.
strain to demijohn, top up to a gallon, and ferment out.
Add a crushed camden tablet, seal and leave for 6 months before bottling.

I've not tried it, but it's supposed to be pretty potent and tasty.

Will_D

Question; Where's the Amylase comming from?

Aren't pops nearly all starch?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Quote from: Will_D on October 06, 2013, 09:40:14 PM
Question; Where's the Amylase comming from?

Aren't pops nearly all starch?

Starch and water yes, but i reckon in that receipe the spuds are just for volume, the yeast is only converting the brown sugar ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Col

You'll still need amylase to convert the starch into sugars, or it'll never clear.
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

Greg2013

Quote from: Col on October 07, 2013, 12:16:59 AM
You'll still need amylase to convert the starch into sugars, or it'll never clear.

That being the case so where would one buy amalyse anyway ? And what ratio do you use it in ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Col

The Homebrew Company have it for one (I just checked) for 2.45 a drum. Add one tsp per gallon. I've never made potato wine before - and apart from car tyres, there's very few I haven't tried - but this year I might give it a go, due to an unbelievable crop in the garden, which are thankfully blight-free after last years f***ing disaster. I might use the little small chaps that I was reserving for the hens, but I'd be expecting a long maturation period - maybe a couple of years at least, if you're hoping to retain a few of your taste buds...
And nursing our scars.

Col

And the recipe I have to hand is very similar to LordEoin's, but without the wheat and with Demerara sugar rather than brown (is there much of a difference, winemaking-wise?).
And nursing our scars.

Greg2013

Quote from: Col on October 07, 2013, 12:41:16 AM
And the recipe I have to hand is very similar to LordEoin's, but without the wheat and with Demerara sugar rather than brown (is there much of a difference, winemaking-wise?).

Out of say a normal 10kg bag of say roosters what sort of yield of alcohol would you expect using amalyse and say a wine yeast ? Might be worth a punt just to see for research purposes of course ;)

Bzfeale80

I have not tried making Potato Wine but here is a recipe from the book Brewing - A step by step guide to making beer, wine and cider by Jack Thompson:

Ingredients
1.5 kg potatoes,washed and chopped, skin left on
1.5 kg demerara sugar
250 ml grape concentrate (white grape I would think)
250 ml cold black tea
1 tsp citric acid
2.5 g wine yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 campden tablets
1 tsp potassium sorbate

Mature for: 3 months
Drink within: 6 months

Method
1. Boil potatoes for 15 mins, then strain through a muslin into a clean container.
2. Add the sugar and stir.
3. Once the sugar has dissolved, make up the volume with water to about 3.9 litres. Leave overnight.
4. Add the grape concentrate, cold tea, citric acid, yeast and yeast nutrient, and stir well.

5. Transfer the mixture to a demijohn, fit an airlock  and leave until the frothing subsides. Top up with cold water if necessary.
6. Monitor the airlock, and when the bubbles stop coming through, add  crushed campden tablet and the potassium sorbate and leave to clear.
7. Syphon into a demijohn and store for 2 weeks.
8. Add another crushed campden tablet before bottling.

For step 5 I guess that you could top up the volume to 4.5 or 5 litres after the frothing subsides to make use of the capacity of the demijohn?

Eoin

Quote from: Bzfeale80 on October 15, 2013, 10:54:22 PM
I have not tried making Potato Wine but here is a recipe from the book Brewing - A step by step guide to making beer, wine and cider by Jack Thompson:

Ingredients
1.5 kg potatoes,washed and chopped, skin left on
1.5 kg demerara sugar
250 ml grape concentrate (white grape I would think)
250 ml cold black tea
1 tsp citric acid
2.5 g wine yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 campden tablets
1 tsp potassium sorbate

Mature for: 3 months
Drink within: 6 months

Method
1. Boil potatoes for 15 mins, then strain through a muslin into a clean container.
2. Add the sugar and stir.
3. Once the sugar has dissolved, make up the volume with water to about 3.9 litres. Leave overnight.
4. Add the grape concentrate, cold tea, citric acid, yeast and yeast nutrient, and stir well.

5. Transfer the mixture to a demijohn, fit an airlock  and leave until the frothing subsides. Top up with cold water if necessary.
6. Monitor the airlock, and when the bubbles stop coming through, add  crushed campden tablet and the potassium sorbate and leave to clear.
7. Syphon into a demijohn and store for 2 weeks.
8. Add another crushed campden tablet before bottling.

For step 5 I guess that you could top up the volume to 4.5 or 5 litres after the frothing subsides to make use of the capacity of the demijohn?

That recipe looks like an acknowledgement that it's hard to make potato wine. :-)

I've made a few of Keller's wines so I know he's good.

Sent from my HTC One

Bzfeale80

From the same book I made a batch of Parsnip Wine last year, which turned out very well indeed. Had a little taste earlier this year before bottling it. Its been in bottles since about July and will be trying it again during christmas holidays. Looking forward to it already  ;)

What's the full title of the book and author you mentioned Eoin?

Eoin

Damn, Thompson, for some reason I read Jack Keller...

Sent from my HTC One