• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:52:01 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Imperial Stout - what is good?

Started by Dara, November 08, 2013, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

I guess you don't want to hear about the one Sierra Nevada released a few years back for their anniversary, that was yum. Also the barrel aged version of celebration. But of the ones that you should be able to get I'd go for De Molen or Nogne-O!

CeardLeann

TRied brewdog oldword imperial stout. Twas very agreeable

delzep

I dropped a bottle of Black Albert earlier today  ???

Didn't break though  8)

Superb imperial stout

mr hoppy

Where did you get your hands on that?

delzep

Bruges

Got one this year. Have a 2010 bottle as well (might be 2009 actually). Bottle of Cuvee Delphine (2009) as well  8)

delzep

Quote from: CeardLeann on November 10, 2013, 11:42:01 PM
Aye, woops. Meant to mention. It was lovely. Being a bit more patient with the Leann Folláin barrel aged. Actually put that and and few others under the stairs in my ma's, hopefully I'll forget about them. Better be careful at Christmas.

Pretty sure I saw a few bottles of the Courage stout in Redmonds the other day

Weiss

Quote from: ferg on November 09, 2013, 04:31:38 PM
Thornbridge Saint Petersburg is pretty great!! Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout is also fantastic.

+1 and +1.

Both fantastic.  8)
"The world is my lobster"-Keith O'Neill.

Alex Lawes

delzep

Just cracked open an 8 degrees Russian imperial stout. It's awful :( like a really poor homebrew

mr hoppy

Not sure what it says about my home-brew  ??? but I thought this was fairly drinkable. I did prefer the other two in the series though.

Eoin

I tried out the Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout, that isn't so good. It's very heavily autolysed, the primary flavour is heavy bovril, everything else underlies that and it makes for a not so good beer. I suggest that they underpitched their 10% beer, but it's not good in any case.

beerfly

odd, what year/batch was it.  one of my favourate stouts, usually has a nice complex malt profile

Eoin

Quote from: beerfly on January 06, 2014, 06:20:34 PM
odd, what year/batch was it.  one of my favourate stouts, usually has a nice complex malt profile

No idea to be honest, bottle is gone for recycling. In any case it was like liquid roast beef.

Sent from my HTC One

SlugTrap

You considering imperial oatmeal-coffee stouts, too? Founders Breakfast is one of the best.
And I'm surprised to see no love for Goose Island Bourbon County, though I think they overdo the barrel.

Both at better offies around Dublin, at least.